Broadcast Message 6973 - 6.4 Oil Leak

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Quote:
6973 - 2008 F-SUPER DUTY - 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE - ENGINE OIL LEAK

SOME 2008 F-SUPER DUTY WITH A 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO INDIANAPOLIS ESN-7008584 AND HUNTSVILLE ESN-0436024, MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK DUE TO A MISSING OIL LEVEL INDICATOR TUBE O-RING. THIS LEAK MAY APPEAR TO BE THE REAR MAIN CRANKSHAFT SEAL, OR BEDPLATE SEAL. CAREFULLY CLEAN EXCESS SURFACE OIL AND CONFIRM LEAK LOCATION.

...and they are fighting over warranty costs. Let's see how many of these /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif seals end up causing multiple misdiagnosed oil leaks.

Just did one this past week, but the o ring was split from poor installation. Customer couldn't wait for a new o ring to arrive(didn't have one in stock, go figure) so had to rob another off a lot unit. Only 2200 miles on the truck and the entire underside from the trans to the rear bumper was dripping oil.

But if oil was dripping off the bellhousing, it must have been a rear main seal. These things are crap and we have to replace them 70leven times before the customer don't come back no more (might have something to do with him getting rid of the truck).

What amazes me is that we can get down to looking at an RMS, see for positive that it isn't leaking and still call replacement a "fix".

I'm far from the best tech in the world (by miles), but I hate being lumped in with the inadequate ones....

I thought I read the rear main crank seal was redesigned for the 6.4L? If that's true then the old seal MUST have been crap! I still have yet to replace one for a leak!

Quote:
I'm far from the best tech in the world (by miles), but I hate being lumped in with the inadequate ones....

Yeah but you've got Moxy and that puts you in a different class! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

(For you younger kids, see Moxy defined)

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion, but I think we will start seeing issues with these trucks when they get some mileage on them. I can see oil coolers from lack of maintenamce and I'm betting we will see injection issues due to contamination and possibly some issues with the new fuel.

I thought I read the rear main crank seal was redesigned for the 6.4L? If that's true then the old seal MUST have been crap! I still have yet to replace one for a leak!

I can count the number of 6.0 RMS leaks that I've seen on one finger.

• 4 months later...

I just had a 6.4 with the dipstick tube leaking at the bracket that bolts the dipstick tube near the valve cover. The weld must of burned through the tube. It sure takes alot of work just to replace the tube.