'00 Excursioon oil consumption

Rate this topic

This beastie is a bit hungry. A 7.3 with 90k well maintained miles, first time our shop has seen it for service. She (the owner) had been seeing her local dealership while it was under a Ford ESP plan.

It's not worked, loaded or abused, she does drive SLOWLY, that's for sure.

Anyway, it was just under 1k over on the oil interval, it appears to have used 13 quarts in that time. she only noticed it by it dying on acceleration on cold starts.

There are no external leaks. blowby is not as low as I'd like, but in specs, and the cold side intercooler tubing and Y is soaked with seepage of oil. The interooler joint is dripping with oil, more than what I'm used to seeing on a 7.3.

The truck runs well. No oil wetness in exhaust.

Have you guys seen these with bad internal injector orings causing this much oil consumption? I'm talking about the orings inside the injector body itself. Not the serviceable ones on the outside to seal to the cups. No oil is in the fuel, nor would I expect to see any with no fuel returns from the cylinder heads.

I've been reading about other HEUI injected engines that have those orings fail and they can drain the crankcase in just hours, by feeding the offending cylinder(s) a diet of 100% lube oil. I've never seen a 7.3/t444e consume so much while running so well.

I have seen the injector o-rings cause this. It was alot easier to diag on the older 7.3's with the return fuel system. If you added die to the crankcrankcase, you would eventually see it show up in the fuel bowl. Not much you can do other than pull the injectors and have a look. It's always a good update to do anyway. Good luck. You don't have any oil coming out the exhaust do you? I've seen the turbo seals blow and fill the muffler. May want to pull the down pipe off and have a look.

Pull the charge air Tube off the Turbo and see how much oil is coming out of the charge side.Shaft seals go on either side but it is common for them to pump oil out the charge side also and not necessarily the Hotside.I would also pull the Intercooler out if this is the source or you could have it run off on the Oil inside of it.And if The turbo is the problem,The Intercooler is more than likely quite full of Oil.I have seen the results of runaways and it is not pretty LOL..

sorry for the long time in updating.

I had no oil out the exhaust, like another F550 that pulled in one day after this one. The compressor fins look very sharp and well defined, so I don't think it's been dusted. The intake after the breather is clean and no grit is present.

The customer did not want to go further at the moment, the family needed the truck and he's going to monitor oil usage himself. His wife does not check it, obviously.

I have two good leads to go by. I haven't run into a turbo blowing oil out the compressor side, but this could be a first.

I'm still leery about the injector orings as I've seen several of the '99-'01 engines using oil with relatively dry intercooler tubes.

I'm sure it'll be back soon.