Uplugging EGR valves on a 6.0?

Rate this topic

Just reading through the posts on inford, and I came across an interesting post, where one tech somewhere out in Western Canada has posted a "certain warranty auditor" has "recommended" that we unplug EGR valves to cut down on warranty claim costs. IS THIS FOR REAL???? Call me stupid if you will, but I fail to see the logic behind this.

While damned near anything is possible, Mike, I think that this may be just someone misunderstanding an early request by hotline for us to disconnect EGR valves as a test step....

I try my best to retain faith in human nature.... But if there is a warranty auditor trying that sort of crap - I hope he lands on my doorstep.... I'm not bashful....

I posted that topic. The dumb arse's(auditor's) name is Robert Clay. He was fired in the new year. He was here last fall in October doing an audit and told us that we should be disconnecting them to help reduce warranty costs. We have also talked to other dealerships in this area that have had the same recommendation by him and they are doing it. I had a dispute with him about this at the time beacause I was already seeing it done by some dealerships in this area. It creates a huge problem, because the carbon starts building up at the valve and eventually works all the way back through the egr cooler plugging it solid. the one I have here right now has the valve ceased in the intake. the outer housing came right off the valve, using the puller. I even went as far as to removing the throttle body and trying to get under the valve with pry bars. No Budge! I now have an intake on order and am replacing the intake and egr cooler. This customer just bought this truck from another dealership like this. The egr connector and the egr throttle plate connector were taped back to the harness. As I posted on PROTECH, this is the kind of crap that makes me bitter: Crappy politics and idiots who don't care about their crappy workmanship! And as I posted on the other site If anyone is doing this and they think they are doing someone a favour, They are not!I could slap the son of a B!$ch that did or recommended this one.

Not all provinces are "green" provinces.... At this point in time, I have seen no anti-tampering legislation. There is no requirement in the "Out Of Province" inspection for CEL status or emissions compliance....

Calling Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation will give you the reply "you can't tamper with.....". No one can cite which section in which act covers this. Dig further- ask what the penalty is and you will be told "you can't tamper with....".

I have been urging this department to propose and enact (at the very least) anti-tampering legislation, if not mandatory testing... this would be simply DLC testing on OBD2 vehicles.

At least this would put us on an even footing with those shops that have no scruples....