Electrical Issue.....Very Odd

Rate this topic

04 F450 with 126k miles. The check engine light is on, tach inop, check guage light is on, and temp guages inop. her is the kicker. I have no communication with the PCM. I have power at the DLC but it wigs my IDS out everytime I try and identify the vehicle. It will give me taskman errors and I have to restart my laptop. Then it will just sit and think trying to communicate. It works on other vehicles so its not the IDS.

Also This truck just had a bed swap. I worked on it a couple weeks ago for a fuel leak or something when it didnt have a bed on it and all was well. Now its got a new flat bed on it and looks like it was welded to the frame in the rear. I am suspecting this is caused my issue I have been having due to seeing SSM19257. I removed the cluster and unplugged it and tryed to communicate, no luck. I just so happend to replace the processor in another truck for a map concern and I tryed swaping that one over and still no luck. I spoke to hotline and these where the two most likly modules to be affected. I am kinda at a lose here.

Anyone have an issue like this?

his was a ground issue, no start and no communication from the HEC. mine runs fine just no comm at the pcm.

the degas bottle seems to be puking all over the FICM so I am going to take a look at the ficm connections. Ive gone over the power and grounds and all seems ok.

my biggest worry is the recent welding which somehow might have nuked something.

I guess today is the day for problem childs. I have another truck giving me greif too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

New clue, I use an old session in the IDS of a like vehicle in hopes I could bypass the network tests and see what was going on within the pcm. I was able to pull codes, there was nothing that would turn the light on, I cleared and retested and go a pass code but still has a check engine light on. As soon as I selected the cluster and tryed to talk it my IDS drooled on itself again. I leaning towards it needing a cluster.

swap a cluster from another truck and no luck. i got side tracked on a head gasket job the past couple days. So far I have swapped a pcm,ficm,and cluster from a like vehicle and no luck.

Every time I've had one of those "no-brainer it's gotta be the module moments"... I've gotten my ass bit hard....

I have an 03 F53 right now that I can't comm with the HEC.... No speedo is the concern... I'm positive it's the cluster but, in spite of the difficulty of getting under the dash, I WILL be going beyond the PPT in the WSM (it falls far short IMHO, anyway).

If yours has the digital odometer, try initiating the ICM self-test.... Key off, press and hold the reset button and then turn the key on. The process is listed in most WSMs but if you go to 01 F150 WSM, there is a partial list of ICM codes (something I haven't seen in any other manual).

Does the odometer display the mileage or all dashes???? If it shows dashes, I am told that it cannot communicate with the PCM - which leads me to believe that hotline can look at "stuff" if we upload anything to them.

In the end, I can only say "load test, load test, load test". The 01 F150 that stumped me had a pre-existing concern that took SIX years to surface....

I think that the electronics on these trucks are fantastically reliable... I've HAD to replace the odd module but, the majority of the time, I find the concern lies elsewhere....

Every PPT ends with us replacing a module..... all too often, we should have never gotten to the end....

<SOAPBOX MODE = OFF>

Are you telling us this truck will not initiate or pass the network test?

It makes my IDS go dumb. I mean it messes it up to the point I have to reboot to even get it to work on another truck. It will not even get to the point of communicating with anything.

yes Jim thats why I never sold anything yet. I have enough trucks tore apart I have parts laying around. I was able to swap everything over real quick one at a time. At least I know thats not a problem so it has to be wiring somewhere.

It has an digital odo. It does display mileage however the tach is inop, both temp gauges trans and engine inop, check engine light is one, air bag light is on, and no something is beeping uncontrollably.

I will try the selftest in the morning for the ICM then I guess its time to start tracing wires! and if that doesnt work then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif it

Well I double checked everything again and made sure the network was ok. I got a good cluster in it and took care of some of the problem but not all. I ended up swaping another processor in it with the good cluster and it fixed it. seems the welding on the frame took out the scp newtwork within the pcm and cluster.

now i just need to wait for god nows how long to get a pcm from the vender. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif