Our first cab-off

Rate this topic

Ok, so I've been pulling cabs on everything for years - but I got my first 6.4L cab-off in today. I was really quite surprised by how much thought, and lack of thought, Ford put into this procedure.

This unit got a high pressure fuel pump to fix a fuel leak into the crankcase. The entire repair was comparable to a 6.0L high pressure pump if you pulled the body to do it.

Here's a few pictures of the job. I only spun one cage nut - left front near the radiator. You'll see in one of the pictures that I inserted an old wrench through the access hole in the body frame. Remove the headlight and it's right there.

I hit the body bolts with a propane torch for 15 to 20 seconds each before wrenching them out by hand. Tedious, but it got the job done.

After that, watch the y-pipe torque sequence. Replace all the fasteners and gaskets. And I just used an assistant to lift the turbo assembly, rather than roll the crane over to hold it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a wrench jammed onto the cage nut at the left front. Careful, because you'll be tapping on the wrench with a hammer right next to a painted, visible part of the body...

Posted Image

Uh... okay. I did say I was going to fix that when I updated the software... which I haven't had time to do yet. Sorry.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

Greg, load the photos into PhotoPost then cut and paste the image URL into your post. Once you upload a photo look below it for a box with some text in it and a button that says "copy to clipboard," then edit the post by right clicking in the text area and clicking on "paste." If you have trouble email the photos to me and I'll do it for you!

This unit got a high pressure fuel pump to fix a fuel leak into the crankcase. The entire repair was comparable to a 6.0L high pressure pump if you pulled the body to do it.

After that, watch the y-pipe torque sequence. Replace all the fasteners and gaskets. And I just used an assistant to lift the turbo assembly, rather than roll the crane over to hold it.

I may have missed something here, but in case you didnt know, the pump can be done without removing the turbo. Just a little info for future refenece.

Couldnt see the picks for some reason.. How long did it take you? Compared to the 6.0L assuming the body bolts worked in your favor??

yeah that 6.0 pump is cake in chassis. I would only pull cabs to do heads or a motor but end up finding is just as quick to do in chassis work compared to lifting a cab.

I didn't realize there was enough room to get the pump cover off around that snorkel of an exhaust inlet on the turbo... Thanks, I'll look at that on the next one...

Yea, once the up pipes are out of your way, if you hold your mouth right the pump cover will slide out. The manual does a pretty good job of explaining wich way to turn it too..Should save you a bit of time..