low sulfer diesel

Rate this topic

A slight decrease in power and fuel economy for some of my customers and myself. I run the Ford cetane additive in mine though, and it does make a difference. She has that extra little snap and bark to her when I run it. I havn't really tried to figure out the fuel economy difference though. I think that when I run the additive I am more concious about how I drive and that more than anything probably is what gets me the better mileage. But a deffinate difference in power. A buddy at work runs the additive in his two farm tractors and he cannot believe the difference. He says his tractors really snort with the additive.

Keep in mind that ultra low sulphur fuel has less BTU's and is is less volatile than the fuel we ran last year.

The BTU on ULSD vs LSD is about 1%. That should carry over in fuel mileage also. But only when the cetane rating is the same.

With out a doubt, cetane ratings are our biggest factor when it comes to fuel mileage. Ask your local filling station what cetane thier deisel is and I almost can guarantee that the dont know.

Hard to compare the fuels when you dont know the cetane rating. All diesel fuels are not the same.

My personal opinion is that the lubricity is once more a factor, similar to what we went through in '93 when LSD came out. I did see/hear of a lot of 7.3 drain valve o-rings leaking right after the ULSD became common last summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the latest episode of 6.4l roundtable talks and I asked them how long they tested the new powerplant. Thier response was years, so then I asked them were they got ULSD in the field while driving. They shut my microphone off after that.

They hemed and hawed and look at each other and side stepped as much as they could then finally said they ended up carrying fuel in containers in the bed on really "long" excursions.

As far as ULSD, it has been available in Houston at least since 2002. Valero was the first to make it (that I know of). You had to specifically ask for it and it was for bulk tank applications only. I worked with several fleets and school districts retrofitting DPF filters on older "specific" vehicles and it required ULSD. This was all done with grant money provided to non attainment areas, such as Houston and DFW.

I would assume that it was available, but difficult to plan accordingly. I guess we will never know.

I watched the latest episode of 6.4l roundtable talks and I asked them how long they tested the new powerplant. Thier response was years, so then I asked them were they got ULSD in the field while driving. They shut my microphone off after that.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!! My Cousin is a Ford Engineer (F-150 powertrain) and i stump him sometimes, after i ask him something he grabs a jack daniels bottle, pours more jack then coke, looks at me and says " thats a good question here take a drink "