New Injector Recall!!!

Rate this topic

Just spotted this on PTS a few hours ago, more info will be available Monday. Apparently 3 of the injectors on 6.4-equipped vehicles manufactured between Apr 3 (my birthday!!) and May 21 were exposed to "reverse polarity" and could cause future drivebility problems. The 3 injectors are to be replaced.

Looks like I'll be up to my anus in busted frame-to-body cage nuts... here we go!!

Dave

Log onto http://www.fmcdealer.com and it should be right there on the first page in the "Parts & Service Home" tab. Also, check the FSA's as it may be in there...

"TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: ADVANCE NOTICE: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD: Special Service Instruction 07T07:

Certain 2008 Model Year F-Super Duty Trucks with 6.4L Diesel Engines

Fuel Injector Replacement

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2008 F-250/350/450/550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L Diesel Engines built at the Kentucky Truck Assembly Plant from April 3, 2007 through May 21, 2007. Approximately 3,100 vehicles are affected and are identified by VIN in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on June 1, 2007.

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

In all of the affected vehicles, three (3) fuel injectors were subjected to a reverse polarity voltage during engine testing. The injectors that received reverse polarity will not operate properly. This may potentially cause the vehicle to run rough, hesitate, or stumble on acceleration.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE or DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in this Special Service Instruction Program. A complete Dealer bulletin will be provided to Dealers the week of June 4, 2007 when it is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this Program.

OASIS

Consult OASIS for affected vehicles. FSA VIN listings for unsold vehicles will be available on June 1, 2007."

Dave

My Canadian log-in appears to take me to something other than what you guys get in the states.... Our usual portal is inford.com - this brings us to a text only page with 32 links on it for various departments, etc...

I used to be able to sneak into the US content through a back door that I once found but they have slammed that one in my face.... I used to be able to take the ultimate tech pretest but now I can't even look at that grinning "ask Ernie" fool...

As far as I can see, the only US content we have access to is powerstroke central and that is accompanied by a disclaimer regarding Canadas two "official" languages....

Even TSBs announced in broadcast messages.... we "blokes" can't access them until they have been translated and posted in French.

Being a "conservative" with very few "liberal" tendencies, I have a hard time with some parts of this "brave new world".

On edit...

Here's what our portal page looks like http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=125&cat=500

Well I wonder how long it's going to take before some prick feels the need to leak this out to all of the diesel web sites like some kind of modern day Paul Fucking Revere!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

Yeah, I know, the "public" has a right to know. Problem is it's going to consume other forums and send people needlessly into a tizzy over their trucks which are likely not affected. I think I am going to have to lose my passwords for all 10 of the sites I visit until the dust settles from this. Anybody know just how many 6.4L trucks have been built to date?

The good thing is that only 3,100 engines were affected which means there aren't too many to go around. Maybe I'll get lucky and not see any of these which would be good considering I am down on shop space due to the fire... then again, it would be just my luck the 20 or so trucks we got in during the last month were all affected.

Not sure how many trucks have been produced but you can be sure that those "other" forums will milk the piss out of this.... Can you spell "doom and gloom"? Every Ford hater will be out there with his best duds on.

On a lighter note.... we had one towed in Friday with a massive coolant leak.... all of which can be attributed to the rigger that installed the V-Mac compressor - can you spell UGLY?

All this because Henry Ford admired a dictator (or more likely just some of his ideals) and because FoMoCo has an equality in the workplace (aka condones !@#!?$! - sorry if that wounds anyones sensibilities)stance.

I started buying Fords because my Dad was a Dodge/GM guy and we never saw eye to eye until it was too late.... I've never had any reason to not buy a Ford....

Someone at TDS posted that he cant pick up his new truck, something about "an injector inspection and the service manager is waiting for instructions from the factory." Yep. I know the feelin! This one is going to explode and I am smelling smoke already!

Kieth... we all know that TDS is the "national enquirer" of all things PSD... All those knee jerk yahoos that think their trucks are more than just another machine will take care of the sensationalism....

FWIW, I just bought Mrs Grampyjim a new to her car - an 05 Mustang drop top.... Only 13000 kms.... I love it when folks ask me what she's gonna drive in the winter - they get the patented blank look and a simple "the car"....

Altogether now.... "it's just another machine....".

Well I don't want to make it sound like I think they are a bunch of whining babies, its not cool having your new $53K truck torn apart or held on delivery for damaged injectors. I completely understand BUT when the truck is not even diagnosed by a technician and some Yahooo is advising to go lemon law or try to get Ford to buy back the truck it just kills me!

Quote:
Well I wonder how long it's going to take before some prick feels the need to leak this out to all of the diesel web sites like some kind of modern day Paul Fucking Revere!

Hmmm...guess I know where I stand now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

- Jay

He should know better than to take it personally, besides, I was doing a count down which some might consider taunting! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif To be honest, I cant believe the recall announcement took 3 days to sneak out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif Now, this is our business and things like this affect our jobs. Problem with being too itchy to inform people before we have all of the facts and information causes problems. Remember a few recalls that were leaked to the media before Ford announced them to the dealers? People were calling the service desk asking questions they could not answer. Blame Ford for that but I suppose they DO need to make sure any affected vehicles in stock do not get released until they are serviced. To do that they need to issue an "Advance Notice" to the dealers, not the public. Ahh, who gives a shit any way? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif The bashers and nay-sayers will have a ball regardless of timing. Let em eat cake!!!

Any way, on the lighter side, I only have one truck on my VIN list and it is in stock. Already have a repair order too... now aint THAT jumping the gun?

On the bright side (for some of us), there are only 252 effected vehicles in Canada. Just enough that none of us will actually be able to make money at them before they are all done!

Quote:
He should know better than to take it personally..

I didn't take it personally, since this is just the "internets." I just happened to fit the described "mold" and didn't know in which direction the vitriol was aimed.

Understand that I have no stake in TDS, nor in Ford or Nav. I have contacts & friends in all three, but that really means that I "serve no master." Mostly, I just try to clarify the things that get muddled when loyalties sway to one entity or the other. Heck, unlike most here, I derive no income from anything I relate -- I'm just the messenger. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

- Jay

The owner's demo unit was just brought to me with a hesitation on acceleration. #1 and #7 cylinders show a drop in power balance, and about 10% STFT.

Also has recall 07T07 open....

40 miles on this unit...

Good thing is we only have 1 other stock unit covered under the recall. I've got it pulled from the line and is sitting in the waiting area until the full recall is published...

Ahhhh, the life of the lonely diesel tech...

yeah the full bulletin is out now. 2.9 is the SLTS time to do the right bank injectors. I have already done injector pre flame recall and it was not all that bad. once you figure out the procedure of course. I was worried that that would be on both banks. at least they made part of the recall a little easier and kept them on the same bank

I like how you need to VIN order the parts. we have a ton of injectors in stock but only one gasket.

Anyone do this recall yet?

I finished one, not too bad. The second one, got a little too overconfident with the plastic heater tube. They crack pretty easily. Be careful!

Just in case anyone breaks that heater pipe, here's the replacement procedure:

Remove the upper fan shroud

Remove the fan

Remove the 13mm nut holding the P/S pressure and return hoses

Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the P/S pump and set it aside

Remove 2 8mm bolts holding two coolant hoses at the top left front of engine

Position the lower coolant hose aside - twist it up into the fan shorud

Disconnect the right side injector harness

Disengage the crank sensor harness from the heater pipe

Break the old heater pipe near crank sensor harness

Remove 10mm nut holding pipe to the intake

Fish the two pieces out

Install:

Insert the pipe, o-ring end first, between crank sensor harness and upper alternator bracket.

Turn back and forth, Rubik's Cube fashion, to thread pipe into position

Reasemble in reverse order.

This assumes that the normal 07T07 recall is in progress, and the air intake, GPCM bracket, etc. are out of the way.

If anyone has improvements on this method, please let me know...

Be careful! This pipe is stupid fragile...

Just in case anyone breaks that heater pipe, here's the replacement procedure:

Remove the upper fan shroud

Remove the fan

Remove the 13mm nut holding the P/S pressure and return hoses

Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the P/S pump and set it aside

Remove 2 8mm bolts holding two coolant hoses at the top left front of engine

Position the lower coolant hose aside - twist it up into the fan shorud

Disconnect the right side injector harness

Disengage the crank sensor harness from the heater pipe

Break the old heater pipe near crank sensor harness

Remove 10mm nut holding pipe to the intake

Fish the two pieces out

Install:

Insert the pipe, o-ring end first, between crank sensor harness and upper alternator bracket.

Turn back and forth, Rubik's Cube fashion, to thread pipe into position

Reasemble in reverse order.

This assumes that the normal 07T07 recall is in progress, and the air intake, GPCM bracket, etc. are out of the way.

If anyone has improvements on this method, please let me know...

Be careful! This pipe is stupid fragile...

You forgot Left Hand Thread on the fan clutch.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif