Oportunity and bad timing vs. this trade

Rate this topic

DwayneGorniak

I have a job offer in the gas compressor field that is quite desireable. They are offering me more money than I make now per hour, three weaks hollidays vs. two now, RRSP plan and pension plan that the company matches dollar for dollar with what I put into it vs. nothing now, safety boot allowance vs. nothing, every long weekend and holliday off vs. being open on long weekends in the summer, and better medical, dental and eye glass coverage. I would be working in a 50,000 square foot shop monday to friday eight to five overhauling Waukesha V12's, Caterpillar V16's and other similar engines. Straight time plus real overtime earnings at time and a half. It will amount to about 20 grand a year more than I make now with the overtime in peak times. I have to provide just basic hand tools up to inch and a half, basic air tools and my own 3/4 " drive socket set. The shop supplies everything else from torque wrenches to big air tools and all specialty tools. There is all kinds of opportunity with this company to move up the ladder and get paid more as I do that. I used to be a Shop Foreman in this trade and I make more on the bench now. In this trade: as you move up the ladder, you are rewarded less financially by being offered sallary when you get into management positions. The stressfull part for me is that we lost our other diesel tech and I hold the burden of carrying the diesel certification for my dealership on my shoulders. I have one weak to decide and I know my dealer principal will take this personally. He's just like that. I will be leaving the dealership in one hell of a predicament. It's one of those opportunities that I feel if I pass it up, I will probably regret it for the rest of my life. I didn't plan the timing like this and I keep telling myself that I have to look out for number one. The other factor is the fear factor of the unknown and being in this trade for so long. But I live by the theory that you will never know unless you try. Just a stressfull decision.

Dwayne... I have to say that most of the guys I know that took this kind of career move are happy that they did. A lot of it depends on what floats your boat....

The oil patch can be a fickle bride, as you may well know but, saving grace... production is safer than exploration as far as job security...

One thing to remember... the oil patch never sleeps and I really have to wonder about "holidays off" and similar claims.

My son works for Kodiak Wireline (they do both slickline and e-line and, at Slave station they have two tridems and two Nodwells). When the work is there, he has to be ready... if not, someone else will surely take his place. Pay is good, but sometimes the grass ain't quite as green as it looked from this side of the fence...

Whatever you decide.... best to ya, chum.... The world is a bed of oysters... a guy just needs to find the one with the pearl..

Or you could just send your resume to employment@slford.com

One of our techs went to do mechanical at the oil field shop this past year. Loves it. The stress of flat rate and the worry of work load was forever on his mind. He comes in on his time off and chats with us and he looks bright as he talks about his family. The load of being a provider to his wife and child is more secure with a steady paycheck.

He says he went to the head of the line since his background in diagnostics put him above the parts throwers they have already. The work is heavy, but there is an emphasis on safety so the pace is not rushed.

The powers that be say there is a 17 year lifespan to the site. I don't know if Ford will be here 17 years from now.

If you are so valuable at your dealer, why can't you get better pay and benefits to stay? If your dealer were to get a good offer on his business today, do you think he would worry about how that would leave you after the sale? Do you honestly believe that if the new job tanked you couldn't return to the dealership system with the certs you hold?

Best to you in your decision.

Jim, if I go into a service truck I would hardly be home and I would have to work hollidays and long weekends at times. Thats why this job is so appealing. I have a wife and three year old son. And I will obviously have to work some overtime past five, but that's at least time and a half. i also forgot to mention that they are waiving the three month probationary period and putting me on the benefits right away. I know my dealer principal will come after me with more money, but it's the future I'm looking at.

About a year ago I was getting a little restless becuase I was not happy with a lot of little things at work (they add up, don't they?). I looked around and found an opening with a transit agency, managed to pass all their tests (with no real Heavy Duty work experience) and was offered the position. When I handed my resignation there was a considerably bigger reaction than I expected; they listened when I talked about my motivations (which surprised me in itself) and came back with an offer that was easy to accept. I think what convinced me to stay was that the company showed how much they valued me more than just a monetary adjustment. In the time since I would have to say that some of the problems have been addressed and some have not but I am more comfortable with the little irrations.

However, your choice is considerably different; you are building your family's future (I don't have any kids at home and if really needed my wife could go back to work). It sounds to me that you will have to listen to your gut feeling on this one! Don't forget that the dealership would make business decisions based on the long term.

Funny you mention family and how that changes your perspective on decisions like this. I passed my 20 year anniversary with the dealer I work for last year. I started with them right out of High School, through technical school and continued to grow and train over the years. 20 years, I am getting itchy, very itchy but I have a Mortgage, a wife who stays at home caring for our two beautiful little girls. I need to safeguard my income and my benefits and any move to me right now seems risky. But I am getting itchy. When my wife considers working again, even part time I may need to scratch my itch but it will take a really good offer to make me pick up and leave.

My point is, Before you get too dug in, follow your heart if your situation can afford it. If you can continue to provide for your family and look to the future with a positive outlook, choose what makes you happy. I think we rarely get to make choices based on what we want to do over what we have to do.

Thanks Keith, I like your perspective. My heart has been in this trade dearly for all these years, but now my heart is looking for something else. I've become restless and itchy. We'll see what happens when I chat with the D.P. And who knows Jim, if this doesn't pan out I just might come knocking on your doorstep. That's if you havn't become itchy and moved on yourself. Maybe, hugh?

Well im not in the same boat as you guys, i'm 23, live at home, trying to save for a house. Ive been doing this for 3 years, 1 year doing 6.0's. Theres days i want to do this, theres days i hate it. My dad has his own company and i could make triple what i make here but i have too much fun at work. Everyone tells me i make a lot for only being 23 but i get the feeling i wont be here too much longer. We're slow and i rather the other diesel tech with a family get the work and ill get to what he cant get to. I'm like this now but im sure if i had a family we'd be at each others throat. I love wut I do, im good at it but I get way too frustrated that we get paid less, have to know A LOT more then lets say other trades and they get paid a f-load more. I have to say that the only thing keeping me at my job is the guys i work with.

Well call me a chicken Sh!t or whatever you want, but I decided that all of you guys are stuck with me. I really had to think about things and weigh the pro's and con's. I figured I make pretty darn good money and things aren't allways as bad as they seem. My dealer principal told me a while back that his door was allways open if I ever needed to talk. So I took him up on his offer and He allowed me to vent, which is what I really needed. It landed me a nice raise which I did not expect or really ask for. The other parts of my decision were that I work Monday to Friday, eight to five, I allready have every night and weekend to spend with my family. And I have major job security and I don't have to worry about work if the oil patch slows down. It was all the damn politics that were getting to me. We resolved some of these issues and I relized That sometimes it's good to just vent. Very similar to your situation Steve, It's good to know how valuable you are sometimes. Therefore the itch is now gone.

Glad to hear that you managed to make a decision (and come away with a bit more coin of the realm, to boot) without too much soul searching....

This whole trade is a challenge, in this day and age... Working on gas compressors would be like "putting tab A into slot B..." day, after day, after day...

Welcome back to the guy that never left.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

thanks Jim. That was another part in the decision. I love electronics and challenges. Even though there are times I feel like robot on sick litres, I wouldn't be a Technician if I didn't love it.