Branch Tube Question

Rate this topic

I'm working on a 05 F250 and the complaint is that one or two times when it was hot soaked it would not start. It has a dtc for low ICP pressure in memory. I got it very hot and hot soaked it, but could not duplicate the concern. Well I just took off the HPOP cover and tested the system with shop air and the IPR closed. I could not find any air leak. I removed the pump anyway and was able to just pull the STC fitting right out. I can see a mark on the rear cover where the STC fitting hit the rear cover. It looks like the branch tube hit the rear cover down low where there is a metal ridge sticking inward on the rear cover. There is definately a gap on the top part of the branch tube and the rear cover. My question is if this branch tube should be ok? I didn't have an air leak when I took it apart and I probably won't have a air leak when I put the STC fitting on. Or do you guys just replace the branch tube regardless because the STC fitting hit the rear cover?

Thanks in advance.

I install the updated STC joint kit and pry the branch tube back into place. Havn't had any comebacks as a result of prying the tube back into place.

I install the updated STC joint kit and pry the branch tube back into place. Haven't had any comebacks as a result of prying the tube back into place.

Same goes for me. I don't know if "realigning" the branch tube with a prybar is officially unacceptable but I too have never had a failure related to my doing do. Considering the amount of work and aggravation required to replace one in chassis I find the odds in favor of bending... to relieve any stress on the tube once it is bolted in place by aligning the bolt holes before assembly.

Before reinstalling the pump cover, air test the system once again to be sure the tube hasn't developed "gremlins" during the procedure....

I'm the only one in our shop that has had to replace branch tubes.... This rates right up there with a root canal or a vasectomy.....

Thanks for the quick replies. Last night after I posted this question, I put the new fitting on the pump and put it on the block to find that the bolt holes on the branch tube don't line up. At that point I decided to just replace the tube. I'm really impressed that you guys bend these back into position and don't have any problems. I've got the old tube out already and I'm making good time. It is a crappy job, but I've had worse. Thanks.

Before reinstalling the pump cover, air test the system once again to be sure the tube hasn't developed "gremlins" during the procedure....

I'm the only one in our shop that has had to replace branch tubes.... This rates right up there with a root canal or a vasectomy.....

Funny you should mention that. When I was getting my vasectomy done, I thought to myself "Yeah. this is better than being at work. " And any time I'm laying in the dentist's chair I usally tell myself "It could be worse. I could be at work right now. " /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blown99
I install the updated STC joint kit and pry the branch tube back into place. Haven't had any comebacks as a result of prying the tube back into place.

Same goes for me. I don't know if "realigning" the branch tube with a prybar is officially unacceptable but I too have never had a failure related to my doing do. Considering the amount of work and aggravation required to replace one in chassis I find the odds in favor of bending... to relieve any stress on the tube once it is bolted in place by aligning the bolt holes before assembly.

Actually International Condones Re-Aligning the Branch after a fitting failure.They also want it pressure tested before throwing on the cover.I have only had one come back where the weld cracked at the Block fitting.I dont consider that too Bad odds considering I have probabley done 25 or so STC jobs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that it can be easier sometimes to put the SCT fitting on the pump with pump off vehicle then place reinforcement bracket on assy and then bolt it to the branch tube then pull the whole thing over onto the dowels for the pump and cinch her down.