Fuel Pump Vacuum Switch

Rate this topic

Wow! Its a 1987 F250 with a 7.3 IDI, C4-C6 transmission. Needs an injection pump, no big deal on that but it has a vacuum switch on the pump for the transmission. I am assuming this is set up like a FIPL switch. Can anybody verify the set-up/adjustment procedure for me? 1/2" between the idle stop screw and boss = vacuum flow? We will check the setting before disassembly (if we sell the job) so we know what we have. Our old shop manuals were all lost in the fire... yadda, yadda yadda... PTS doesn't go that far back as we all know.

Well the ordered pump came in today so we had to get off the pot so to speak. This one gets good, grab a beer...

So I discussed this matter with the tech replacing the pump. He was 10 years old when the truck was new and I was still in technical school, working at our Dodge store. He might have seen an injection pump or two but I am confident in his abilities and he asks questions and opens the manual as needed. We thought we would get the old pump on the bench and determine how to adjust this vacuum valve after transferring it to the new pump.

I decided to call the HotLine because I assumed they must have a 1987 manual archived somewhere. Right? Umm, no. Apparently not. Somebody PLEASE explain THAT to me!?!? This is Ford - God - damn - Motor - Company we are talking about. Wouldn't you think that they would have an electronic archive of manuals dating as far back as possible? What would Henry think about this?

After explaining to the engineer what I have before me, he discussed this with another fellow there. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif He recommended that I play around with it and determine how it was set. Right with ya! I was looking for the official and proper way to set this thing and Ford Motor Company cant even help me out. So to satisfy my curiosity I proceeded to ask what exactly that valve "thingy" was called which might help me search for the answer. He responded by telling me this was an idle kicker that raised the idle when the AC compressor engaged. (this is after I told him it was a vacuum switch of some sort and the line connected to the transmission vacuum modulator.) The truck does not even have AC as if it matters and the idle kicker is electric and mounted on the other side of the pump.

I thought "oh-no!"

I said "okay, nice talkin to ya!"

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

C'mon now. I am fuckin smarter than this! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif It supplies vacuum to a transmission modulator on a C-6 just like a gasser. Wow. It is set to send 18" @ idle and less than 8" @ WOT... just like a gas engine would. Do I ask stupid questions or do I just ask for trouble? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I take it the truck is back in service running better than ever now? Believe it or not the dealer I moved to has the gage block for adjusting FIPLs. I stumbled across it after reading this. Tool number is T83T-7B200-AH.

Do I ask stupid questions or do I just ask for trouble? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Hey, I see by your avatar that you got a haircut. It looks good!

BTW, those vacuum switches have a very high failure rate. I bet it's gone by now, but if not, I'd hang one to CYA.

Good Luck!

Are you still needing to get it adjusted or have you managed to get it down the road?

As I recall you put the gauge block (OK, I admit that I use an 8mm nut because it is slightly closer than a 5/16" nut) like the FIPL adjustment and hold the acclerator down till the lever is against the "gauge". Then apply vacuum to the supply side of the regulator (20", I think) and the modulator side should be... (alright, this is where recall is not quite total).... um, should be, ahh... I'm pretty sure that I have it at work and if you still need it I will get it on Monday.

I do know that if the supply and modulator lines are reversed it will not work properly (rookie did it, I had to find it).

Edit: Seems to me that I did successfully set it by trial and error on the shift points at least once.

Quote:
Are you still needing to get it adjusted or have you managed to get it down the road?

Nah, we determined that this thing should mimic the vacuum changes of a gas engine and set it accordingly. Now my number one tech has had the experience of dealing with a fuel spider. (injection pump and lines) 20 year old truck runs good! I remember the truck when it was new... therefore I am being told that I am old... not even 40 yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

Quote:
I remember the truck when it was new... therefore I am being told that I am old... not even 40 yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

Keith my early days at a dealership the 7.3 IDI was ...

(A) still in production

AND therefore

(B)still under warranty

If I hunt around I might be able to find my homemade FIPL gauge

I'm not 40 yet either... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif