Ford re: 10,000 jobs

Rate this topic

LARRY BRUDZYNSKI

Well here we go again, 10,000 layoffs and 2 more plants to be shut down. Maumee Ohio stamping plant and Windsor engine plant. Whatever happened to the old phrase " if you want to make money you have to spend money ". I think if Ford keeps going this way we will all be looking for jobs in the near future. I guess Bill Ford jr. got out just in time.

Saw that Ford pays the factory workers better than $64.00 an hour when all benefits are included. No wonder they are going broke!!!

What a dealership does as far as pay or amount of employees has NOTHING to do with "the mothership"...

Ford couldn't care less if the dealers made it manditory that all techs work for free on all warranty work. We don't work for FORD we work for dealer X...

I agree GAS....

FYI...There are actually just over 4500 Ford dealers in US and Canada.

As far as the comment "spend money to make money," that is like saying the customer is always right. If you are on one side of the fence its great, but if you on the other side its hell. That business model only works when you are a small company. Take Bil Gates for example. Microsoft spent approx 6 billion last year in development. Bill Gates gave more than that way to charity personally. Im just sayng the saying doesnt fit the scale of dollars we are talking about here.

ktmlew is right forde has nothing to do with dealer employees. if a dealer has 10 or 100 employees it doesn't affect fmc's profit only the dealers. the 30k includes FORD employed white and blue collar jobs, NOT dealership jobs. i also saw the report of 64.50 per hour for uaw employees, i think the figure is slanted. i checked on the uaw and the dept of labor sites during a recent debate and i remember the factor of 30% more for union assmbly jobs over non union. and if i remember the figure it was under 40 per hr. remember don't believe everything you hear. mark twain said " there are liars, damn liars, and statisticians" Posted Image i would like to see the pie chart of the cost of a vehicle......my guess it would show far more spent on warranty reserves and research and devolopment than the accual cost in labor to assemble. it just seems easier to blame the uaw because thier members make more than we do. don't let jealousy cause you to incorrectly indentify the problem!

www.uaw.org/barg/03/barg02.cfm

it should be clear that the hourly wage is not out of line. however the cost of benefits are. remeber the cost of benefits like health insurance and retirement are set by the insurance companies who provide them, not by the manufacturer or the uaw. maybe the manufacturers need to address the issue with them not by reducing the standard of living of the people who are actually making the product. the uaw has made many concessions in the last 30 years to help the american manufacturers stay profitable but in the end it comes down to blue collar workers have gained less than 2% in wages (adjusted by inflation) while managment has gained an average of around 14% while complaining of non profitability. it makes it hard to justify 18 million dollar salaries while the rest of us struggle to feed our families AND pay for our own healthcare and retirement.