4.5L Oil Coolers?

Rate this topic

I wont be getting it in the shop for a couple of days but I have an LCF with some oily crud seeping out of the coolant reservoir. It looks milky though, not that gray pasty stuff we see with a 6.0L. I'll know more when I get it in. Just wondering if any of you have seen oil cooler failures on this engine?

Well, I am confused but apparently not as confused as the person that put a quart of new engine oil in the cooling system The sludge as I mentioned is a light creamy tan. We have seen enough oil coolers fail on diesel engines to know that diesel oil and coolant makes that nice battleship gray pudding. It's the soot that does it. The crankcase oil is filthy so no, its not a fresh failure on fresh oil. We sold the truck, has 16,000 on the clock... and has never been to US for service! How did the oil get there? Nobody knows nothin! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif The degas bottle has been washed out and the system flushed. I could have gotten away with just cleaning the bottle, there was no contamination elsewhere. I wonder if the customer will be servicing it at the dealer now.

I just had the Hutterites call me a little while ago about a 4X4 engagement concern after they serviced the t-case on their 04' superduty. They asked me what kinda oil to put into da transfer case and I told them ATF. He said, You mean no 80w90. I said no, no 80w90! ATF! He said Oh, maybe dats why da son of a bitch won't go into four wheal drive den hugh? UHHH, yeaahh!

• 1 month later...

i had one with a leak. pressure tested the oil cooler found it blown. checked cooling system was building or 18 psi. seems rare on the 4.5 from what im hearing

by the way i know weve been through this but whats the best flush you guys used? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

For us it has been liquid Tide or Simple Green. The Tide is more cost effective and leaves a nice scent! Really, I kid you not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i had one with a leak. pressure tested the oil cooler found it blown. checked cooling system was building or 18 psi. seems rare on the 4.5 from what im hearing

So you had a leaking headgasket on a 4.5l?