CAT Engines In Our Future?

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I was given the impression or VERY STRONG HINT that Ford and Caterpillar have a deal in the works for engines, possibly to go into light duty trucks. No specific details at this point but the instructor at Caterpillar was very clear that something IS, or is going to happen in the future and learning how to use ET and SIS now will be to our advantage. (Ford TEPS guys)

Not knowing what type or size engine this could be leaves a lot open to wild speculation and the imagination. The successor to the Power Stroke in three or four years? A smaller engine for the light duty F250 and Expedition? Fact or fiction this is very interesting indeed! Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Anybody heard anything about a new 3.6L twin turbo? I was reading a diesel magazine about all the 2007 emissions stuff and it had a picture of this engine. It says a Ford plant in the UK started building it and it makes 265 hp and 472 lb-ft of torque. Possibly for an non-American application??

Well ford doctor I sure hope so. I am a caterpillar truck engine tech and last time I was at school, My instructor said that cat has an engine and they are just waiting for someone to want it. My ford salesman also told me that ford and cat were very close to having a deal but international got the contract. I hope that if any of this is true they made it similar to the C7/3126. But seeing as how my blood is yellow with little blue ovals, I guess I am a little biased.

The contract with International to provide engines in the 250-550 does not end until 2012.

As far as the F150 diesel engine, heres a quote out of Automotive News.

"Dave Szczupak, who retired last week as Ford's vice president of manufacturing for the Americas, said the F-150 will get a version of the 3.6-liter V-8 diesel used in the Land Rover Range Rover SUV sold in Europe."