Skipping the Basics

Rate this topic

Had one get me good today. 06 with no mgp. Cleaned turbo and egr and installed exhaust manifold gaskets for a p0299 two days ago. Customer comes back and says his turbo stopped working this morning, 23,000 miles on it.

Checked the usual stuff, took control of the turbo and watched the pids, turbo made noise and the ebp_a changed accordingly but no boost. Checked air filter ok, checked map and signal hose which I cleaned previously ok. Swapped map sensor with a downed truck (we got 'em stacked up like cord wood around here) no change. Smoked intake for blown intercooler even though there was no noise or evidence of a leak, ok. Called hotline and told them my mgp started reading (barely) after pressurizing the map sensor to see if it was reading. I had confused the truck so bad it wouldn't hardly move and set a lot of correlation codes, cleared them and I was back to square one, no mgp. I was dead set on a pcm not inferring the numbers had some serious tunnel vision set on, was getting ready to swap pcms. Another tech comes over and says "shouldn't you get something if that turbo is turning?"

I stared engine with air filter off and bingo the compressor wheel wasn't turning. The shaft had snapped, never had one break on me and completely went around a very basic check. I mean come on it's an '06 with 23,000 on it, what's the chances? Oh well, lesson learned.

never seen a turbo shaft break on one of those but got burnt one time by a stopped up intake at map connection we all get bad about skipping the basics at times thinking to far ahead i guess and end up with a headache

Ive never seen a turbo shaft break, and ive never seen bad headgaskets ( unless modified ). Other diesel tech got burned by bottom side of Hot side CAC to intercooler connection just barely torn. He did y-pipe, rechecked turbo everything. Old diesel tech (when 6.0's were still a mistery", had a problem, spent 2 days, trying to figure a truck out, i walked up to him ( 2 years ago ) and was talking to him, went to spin the wheel of the turbo, and go, "hey how come this isnt spinning" He dropped his tools, punched out and went home for the day.

Alright, I had a chance to regain my composure after a long day. I was thinking about my original post and I kinda posted without thinking clearly and am setting things straight now.

Posted Image

I replaced the questionable turbo and took some time to tear the old one down, finding this bolt had backed out into the turbine wheel and the entire turbo was not able to turn. I guess a nut and bolt torque check would be advisable on future cleanings.