Rambling thoughts...

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

... on a day off (had to rub that in - again).

After viewing the umpteen thousandth post on another, public venue "I want to know more before I take it to the dealer .

Basically a call for anyone and everyone with no experience, knowledge or test equipment to tell the owner what direction he should mislead the tech.

I know I rant long and hard on inadequate techs... let's face it, the complexity of the modern diesel has turned generations of techs into near dinosaurs overnight.... But even the best of techs can be led astray if the customer is trying to guide the diagnostic process rather than offer up symptoms.

Thankfully, I don't think any of my customers participate in things like powerstroke.org or TDS - at least none have mentioned them nor do any talk like they are getting anecdotal advice (other than coffeeshop talk).

At the same time, most of these guys are doing exactly what knowledgeable folks are telling them not to do.... extended periods of low speed/light load or idling operation.... chips, open weave filters, "stuff" in the fuel, bypass oil filters (think on that one for a while, gents), coolant "filters".. and they do it gladly - on nothing more than a strangers suggestion.

Not to pick on Dwayne (but he makes it far too easy, sometimes) who is proud not to own a 6.0... I would own a 6.0 in a heartbeat - even an early build (maybe especially an early build). Now that we are past the teething problems, we see few concerns with the older trucks. However, I could only ever hope to treat a diesel right for two weeks out of a year.... (you just knew I was going to digress, right?).

Why is it that cockamamie ideas are embraced with open arms... and knowledgeable people are told that they don't know shit from shinola ( http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/114000.html for you young'uns)?

Our service advisors are the worst for "guiding" the diagnostic process instead of just writing down what the customer says their vehicle is doing. I don't know how many times I've been tempted to call the customer an hour after they have dropped their car to see if their complaint matches what's on the R.O.

That hyperlink is awesome by the way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Yes, I like it too. In fact, I saved the picture... now I need a picture if a big steamy pile of... with a white background... I have a great ad idea!

I'm always thinkin! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

There is a local cable station in my neck of the woods (I don't know if I can name the station or the show, so I won't...) that has an automotive help show every sunday night. In a nutshell, the guy that hosts the show (I still don't think I can mention his name) always tells callers, "Take it to an independant shop, don't go to the dealer, they will rip you off"... and then goes on to say, "You can give me a call at the office, and I will recommend one to you", for a $50 dollar charge no less. I've been tempted to call the show on occasion, but I don't think I'd make it past the screeners...

But anyway, what right does this guy have to tell the public television audience that the dealer will rip you off?

That's the same kind of guy that sells the snake oil and makes promises of greatly improved mileage and performance, or the A/M companies on all the late night infomercials that tell you that their products meet or exceed O.E.M. specs. Have yet to see them put the actual specs on their shows. As said before and I quote "There is a sucker born every minute"

Not to pick on Dwayne (but he makes it far too easy, sometimes) who is proud not to own a 6.0... I would own a 6.0 in a heartbeat - even an early build (maybe especially an early build). Now that we are past the teething problems, we see few concerns with the older trucks. However, I could only ever hope to treat a diesel right for two weeks out of a year.... (you just knew I was going to digress, right?).

I feel the same way. I actually had the chance to buy an 06 during a 0% yada yada deal. anyway the more I thought about it the more I realized it wasn't a good idea. sure I would use it but not as much as it should be. decided to hold off. I would have no problem owning one however. I have a feeling we will be able to pick up cheap older trucks down the road. seems even the 7.3s are holding more value than the 6.0

I'm happy to have a early build 6.0L. I got it for a steal it was 7 months old and had 70k miles (112 kl)for you northerners.the truck was treated like one of Jim's famous "oil patch rigs" Start it in the morning work it all day perform no maintenance and it only stopped when it broke, then he would bitch and cry about how much money he was loosing when it was down.He decided to trade it in for a 04 when I had the engine torn apart melted piston etc. couldn't wait for me to fix it so I bought it for under $20k , and got paid to fix it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

• 2 months later...

I don't know how I missed this post. Oh, wait a minute. I was on hollidays pulling my 28 foot beer fridge behind my trusty ole' 7.3L. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif

Allright, you didn't hear this O.K. But I must say that the early 03' and early built 04's are the better of sicko's. Once they had new injectors and a few updates they were actually not all that bad. Especially the early 04's with the 03' engine that did not get the 06E17 recall.

But, I did not say that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif