TSB 07-16-01

Rate this topic

Rickster42

Pays 3.7 now to use the new turbo vane tester,remove clean and reinstall turbo ( after 9/03 build date).

What makes this tool 2.7hrs faster than a KA turbo test? ( old tsb payed 6.4hr)

Ordered my first turbo in while today,guess what? yep B/O..hehe

Me thinks Ford is gonna be paying for alot more turbos with this new tsb...

Any one using the new tool have any thoughts on this?

This last long while, rust pretty much exclusively... Some times a little bit of rust gives more dramatic symptoms than a lot of rust from what my techs are telling me and what they are showing me....

"Lot rot" appears to be the culprit since most of these trucks I know for a fact aren't driven regularly...

So it looks like we are back to throwing turbos at them again eh? Just when you thought Ford was letting us become technicians again. Has anybody actually used the turbo tool yet? I personally have not had the opportunity, I know my mechanics have been told about the tool. I still don't see the justification for cutting the time so much. I smell an article coming.

Keith, the tool is straight forward, we used it on a evan 6.0. However the readings u get and sample readings with descritions of whats happening " IMO " are very confusing. The other diesel tech called hotline with his readings to clarify what the hell was going on and they did more confusing then clarifying. I think its very confusing and unless the turbo is completely stick, its not worth crap.

Tony, we used the tool for the first time yesterday and I agree with you on your comment about it being simple, yet confusing. I am looking for "directions" on using the test that explicitly details what to look for. One thing that would have helped is that they could have added a movable time line like we have in playback sessions for data recordings. This would allow us to line up the command signals with the sensor reading data to look for delays. The turbo we tested "looked" good on the screen but the turbo does not spool up off the line. The truck otherwise runs really well. The turbo is coming off for inspection.

• 4 weeks later...
Quote:
If the turbocharger passes the turbo tests, do not continue with this TSB. Follow the online KA pin point test found on the Profession Technician Society (PTS) website and continue air management diagnosis without replacing the turbocharger.

NOTE: VEHICLE PERFORMANCE ISSUES RELATED TO FUEL QUALITY, MAINTENANCE AND AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS ARE NOT COVERED BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY WARRANTY.

I pasted this from the action section of the TSB. The problem with the statement is a frozen turbo will pass this test all day but the turbo is still bad.

I hope for the customers sake they don't enforce the fuel quality issue, or they'll have to take on the fuel suppliers also.

Are you telling is this because you had a bad experience with the turbo position tool? Good thing fuel testing cant be done in the field otherwise we might be taking samples like random drug testing! I have never noticed any difference when using the cetane booster in the trucks.

I had a bolt backed out into the turbine wheel not allowing it to turn, skipped some basic tests and performed the daig with new tool and it passed with flying colors. Truck had no power, finally got back to the basics and replaced the turbo.

The tool works fine but it only checks the variable vanes for proper operation and response. Which is a nice test but it doesn't check the rest of the turbo. I jumped the gun even though a boost test revealed 0 mgp. So it was my mistake not the tools.

I was just noting the wording of the tsb to not replace the turbo if the test passes. You can't read to much into these tsb's.

• 2 months later...

Welcome from here as well Bruno. Good to see another very knowledgable member.

And by the way, all the ones I have apart are rusty. But up here we deal with extreme weather, alot of condensation, and some Idiots who drive these things for five minutes as commuters.