multiple turbo failures

Rate this topic

So I got a cool one guys. Local utility rig, just a flatbed 03 f350 has a turbo fail in a massive way wheel down the exhaust pipe and quarts in the exhaust. It was towed to the shop 1/2 disassembled by the local navistar dealer when they figured out that it was still under ford warranty. One of my techs replaced the turbo fished the wheel out, replaced the cat??, changed the oil, and then drove the rig for 5 to 10 miles and all was good. It was towed back in Monday 400 miles later with a lack of power and a strange noise. I got it as the tech that worked on it last just quit. Yep it lacks power and makes a gawd awful noise on acceleration and deceleration. I noticed a strange thump from the lower end of the engine as well. I looked at history and found that this was the 3th turbo failure in 4500 miles. I took the pressure line off the turbo and did a cranking flow test to check for restriction. No restriction but the oil was semi metallic. I took off the oil filter and found massive amounts of chunks of metal, brass color and silver color. I then decided to talk to our friends at hotline where I was advised that unless I find that the screen under the oil cooler is damaged and remove the pan to check the brg’s I will not be getting the authorization for a long block most likely. WTF! Massive metal contamination throughout the engine oiling system and the hi pressure system and they don’t think a long block would be a good idea? Well it is on the back burner for a while, so when I disassemble I will update you guys on the condition. I did drive it out and just for fun ran it up to about 2500 rpms what a sound. When I shut it off the turbo sounded like a castle nut in a Folgers can.

Well guys I got the motor out and apart. The turbo was cool. Better than a half an inch of play in the shaft. There was a bunch of metal in the screen below the oil cooler. I found the main brg’s flaking apart. I put together the p/a for a short block, a long block and a drop in complete. When the labor was accounted for the complete was the least expensive repair by about 50 bucks. This thing was butchered by someone before me. Broken connectors all over the place, the egr valve was broken where the connector plugs in, the fan stator was broken and had 3 different types of bolts installed. Anyway I did my prior approval and stated why the complete was the most cost effective repair. I got approval for a long block. I called hotline and asked why they wanted the more expensive option. They said that because the complete is a new engine (although it has an aarm number???) I could not use it, and must use a remanufactured long block. I guess that is why I don’t work in the accounting department at FMC. I have an engine coming tomorrow.

I guess that is why I don’t work in the accounting department at FMC

Be glad you don't. Our parts manager was out twice in the last week looking for 6.0 drain plugs to send back to Ford for warranty return. How much does a drain plug cost? How much does it cost to send them back and pay someone to take the time to examine it? Totally ludicrous! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif