6.4L Coolant Leak Issues

Rate this topic

I have one here, that I replaced the rad last week. Comes back in yesterday morning with an upper rad hose leak at the connection to the new rad. Replaced upper hose. Leak fixed, for now. Closer examination of the old upper rad hose failed to reveal anything wrong, nor was anything found to be wrong with the connection to the upper hose on the new rad. When customer came to pick up the vehicle this morning, I put a pressure tester on it with the customer present. System held pressure for a good twenty minutes with no drop, nor leak. Satisfied, the customer took his truck back. Just as I'm about ready to call it a day, I get a phone call from the customer complaining of YET ANOTHER leak. Bring the truck back in, and pressure test. System holds pressure. But a little presuasive wiggling, reveals yet another leak, this time from the lower hose, where it connects to the engine block on the driver side. I've replaced a lot of 6.4L rads, and have never had anything like this happen. And yes, this truck has already had the coolant tee installed awhile back. Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else come across this?

Seen it more than I would care to mention. More than likely when you remove the hose you will notice that where the hose connects to the front cover is pitted and discolored real bad. My guess also is that the thermostat housing will look the same also where the upper hose connects. When I get them in like this they get a new housing and a front cover.

I just had one in this week like that. Someone else in the shop replaced the radiator about a month ago. Customer brings his truck back in saying its leaking fuel on the ground from the back of the engine. Check it out and find that it's leaking coolant from the upper radiator hose at the thermostat. Removed hose and the o-ring looked fine. Found the thermostat housing slightly pitted and had some corrosion on it. I just used scotch brite pad to clean up the thermostat housing and smeared some grey silicone on it then installed a new upper hose. I think on higher mileage engines the o-rings get in a set position then when you move them they lose their seal and leak.