6.0 injectors.. 3C3Z vs. 4C3Z differences

Rate this topic

Buddy_M

Anyone know the difference exactly between the 3C3Z AND 4C3Z injectors on the 6.0? I was told the later were just coated plunger & barrel assembly and would interchange either way. I have put the 4C3Z in where it calls for 3C3Z and had to running/drivability issue with the repair after. Reason for asking is I had the local parts dept get into a little argument where they said it was ok to put the 4C in place of a 3C, but cannot install the 3C where it calls for the 4C. From my prior speaking with people, I don't think there was any physical dimension difference internally between the two and will easily interchange without issue, and just want to see if anyone here possibly knows for sure. Or get some others' thoughts on it even?

Not sure the differences, but we had a mix-up at my old dealer where some 4C's got installed where 3C's should be, it had some other issues with exhaust gas entering the fuel rail about 6 months later, and had one of the new injectors blown apart - the top section separated from the base. When contacting hotline on this issue they said we needed to replace all the 4C's with the 3C's that were supposed to be in there, but they wouldn't give me an explanation.

For those of us who were around when the 6.0L was a new engine, the injectors were an early problem and had some revisions before and after production began. The 2004 level injectors implemented the DLC coating and a different volume over the intensifier piston.

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) Coated Plunger

[*] The plunger has had a DLC coating applied to it.

[*] The coating will further increase the robustness of the injector against poor fuel quality/water intrusion and will reduce the risk of internal scuffing.

NOTE: This injector has different operating characteristics and cannot be interchanged with non-DLC injectors. Installing the incorrect injector could cause erratic or rough engine operation.

The hole count in the nozzles are different too if I recall correctly. Obviously the spray pattern would be different and injector timing would be altered in the calibration. (wasn't the combustion chamber in 03 engines different too?)

I believe I read somewhere about earlies having 5 holes and late having 7. I'm not positive about any of that info though

This topic came up once before when we had a 2005 truck with an 03 engine installed that needed an injector. The end result was the cust didn't want the work done anyways so it was never resolved

I've been wondering what the difference was also. I know some aftermarket injectors say that the ones they sell will fit all 6.0's. I don't know how they get away with it if the calibrations are different.

What do you think Larry?

• 3 months later...