08 focus

Rate this topic

jaysonfordtech

• 4 weeks later...

Gearheads change tires but 17 year old "Buffies" with a glitter covered cell phone stuck to their ear call their daddy who calls roadside assistance to come deal with it. When it gets out of warranty she'll have been bought a new Mustang or a Bimmer.

Sealant in a can with a compressor has been around a long time in many high end cars.

'Vettes have been w/o a spare for over 20 years.

Times change

If they take the 25 pound savings and turn it into more metal to better protect in a crash then it is a great idea.

Thats a much different view on that then my male, gear headed perspective would have looked at it as you suggested. However I don't see too many Buffies putting the can to the tire and filling it up either. For me however, I can see the ease of canned sealant but I prefer the confidence of a spare tire. Twice I got too close to a curb, once in a parking lot and another making a slow turn, both incidents resulted in a gash in the sidewall. No can will fix that. I drive an Explorer and Freestyle. If I had a Vette, then I certainly don't want a silly ol spare tire. At least for people like me a spare is available as an option.

...and where are my manners? Welcome to the DTS jimmy57 !

If we all think about it... Most of the cars being sold now a days are leased and most have road service agreements attached to the lease. I got one with my Dakota, haven't had a problem yet,(knock on wood), but it's nice to know that I have it. I'm getting to lazy with my own vehicles to have to mess around with that crap.

Quote:
At least for people like me a spare is available as an option

I have my own personal spare tire, carry with me every where I go, my wife calls it a tool shed though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I think that most people haven't changed a spare in years. Most people probably couldn't find the spare in their car. I don't live in a desolate area where it is a matter of personal safety to have a spare tire. Everyone has a cell phone now a days and people would rather call a tow truck than get dirty and frustrated changing a spare. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

In more than twenty years of driving I've needed a spare once but in that flats defense I was 17 and broke and the tire was shot and needed to be replaced long before it went flat.

A membership to AAA cost about $40.US a year so I feel that no spare isn't that big a deal. Most people will stop at a gas station and pay $.25-$.50 cents in the air compressor to put air in a tire if they see that it's low and drive it to a repair shop to have it fixed rather than put the spare on anyway. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

I totally agree that I too want a spare although I have had several vehicles that I owned that had the valve stem rot and the tire was flat and had never been out of it storage place.

Unsure if this is a victim of cost savings or if the weight loss throws the vehicle down one class for EPA tests.

One thing on which we all agree, the guys in charge do not ask the guys that fix 'em what they want to see happen to new cars.

The guys in the shop make fun of me when I check a customers spare tire and top it off it's low (seems to go against their flat rate mentality), but if a guy drops 5 bills on a major service and has a flat 2 miles down the road and his spare is in the same shape, how happy is he gonna be?

Lets not forget getting a flat on the highway and the tire being on the side of the road and truckers coming inches away from ure backside. I've seen that all too often on the way to wark...people on the shoulder, changing their tires and being ever so close to being hit.

I make it a point to carry a spare. lets just say loosing a 35" tire at 75mph in my bronco with a detrot locker is not all that fun. I had been out wheeling and tore a gash in the sidewall that later blow the hell up on the road. Now on the toyota Im going to lug around a 38" swamper /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

but your right, hardly anyone is man enough to get out and change tires cause frankly they are not man enough to check the condition and air pressure that would percent most blowouts anyway

If memory serves correctly, Ford has reconsidered and is now putting spares back in 08 Foci. I think it was only the 2dr coupes that had the spare deleted. I agree with the previous postings about spares being overlooked and usually underinflated. If they were installed so that it was easy to get air into them, maybe more techs would check them during regular services. I only bother to check the ones that I don't have to work to get at.