07-23-14 labor times

Rate this topic

I think the times are going to cause alot of "comebacks" and unhappy 6.0l owners.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif Don't forget about early retirement either. I thinks I'm getting closer to that point in life where I am ready to move into the mountains with the travel trailer, build a good ole' moonshine still and forget about this crap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

But then again, I've always been a sucker for punishment. Looks like a great TSB for training straight time apprentices.

Wow! I finally had time to look it over really good. Are they for real? I looked up just replacing the oil cooler on a 2005 F350 ---> 6.0L DIT 6642A = 5.3 and assuming that there is no other issue that leaves an additional 1.3 hours to do all that testing, replacing the degas bottle if required and flushing the system? Are you kidding? If there is a lot of oil I have spent hours getting them clean. Customers do not want to even a trace of oil when you are done but it's nearly impossible. I can get a system pretty clean but it takes a lot of flushing.

YOUR RIGHT KEITH, SAME HERE. HAD AN OIL DISASTER AND ENDED UP EATING TIME JUST TO KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY. THERE SEEMS TO BE A FINE LINE BETWEEN FIXING IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND KEEPING A CUSTOMER HAPPY FOR A RETURN VISIT. MyBE THE RIGHT WAY TO REPAIR OIL COOLER DISASTERS IS TO ORDER ALL NEW PARTS INCLUDING RADIATORS,ETC. THE 126 GAME KILLS A TECHNICIANS ABILITY TO REPAIR A VEHICLE PROPERLY.

why did they make a new tsb,they should have just kept it in the overflow tsb 07-21-5, everone is different some take along time to flush and some don't take as long,maybe they have a new and improved vc1 that is now fast acting and will eat the oil sludge away, just kidding,does anyone use that stuff?

...maybe they have a new and improved vc1 that is now fast acting and will eat the oil sludge away, just kidding,does anyone use that stuff?

I laugh at the VC1 flush when it comes to oil in the coolant on one of these. For me, I have found that either Simple Green or my favorite, Liquid Tide works best. I use our BG coolant exchanger to suck the oil out from the degas bottle where it rises to. I then fill the system with water and add the tide. I think the most important thing is to get the engine to operating temp and drive it hard to get the coolant moving. Don't forget to turn on the heater. I'll suck the oil off the top and then drain the system repeating this several times with the last few drain and fills being water only. The hard part is getting all of the oil out of the "chambers" of the degas bottle. I have removed them and cleaned them in the parts washer quite effectively but there was one that just needed to be replaced.

I just finished replacing a set of heads due to fuel in the coolant... and even that took me 4 drain and fills untill I was happy with the condition of the coolant in the degas bottle... and it was nowhere as severe as the contamination we see with oil cooler failures. Although, in our shop, the foreman will usually go to the wall with Ford to try and get a replacment engine when there is a severe oil cooler failure.

The VC-1 works for crap. I like to take the hose off of the degas bottle to drain it before I drain the radiator, since the oil will end up in there and up top on everything else. I have had decent luck with simple green and I think next time I'll try the liquid tide. I still have to flush the cooling system at least 3 times before I feel that is acceptable and it is still not perfect. I like the idea of just replacing the radiator. I think that is the hardest to clean out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've "heard" of engines being replaced for oil cooler failures - ostensibly because the contamination can't be cleaned from the water jacket.... Whether this is true or not is a matter for conjecture...

With shrinking labour times, could it be possible that one day Ford will let us work on their iron if WE pay THEM enough?

I've "heard" of engines being replaced for oil cooler failures - ostensibly because the contamination can't be cleaned from the water jacket.... Whether this is true or not is a matter for conjecture...

With shrinking labour times, could it be possible that one day Ford will let us work on their iron if WE pay THEM enough?

I just did one about a month and a half ago, on an E-Series under hotline recommendation and prior approval. Not only was the engine replaced, but so were ALL parts that coolant passes through. Even after all was said and done, I barely broke even on the job!

I have replaced some engines for this concern due to the fact that it was like clay or as Hotline calls it "Pudding". Hotline says that when it has mixed to the extreme point of becoming pudding, it bakes to the sides of the cylinder water jackets from the extreme combustion chamber temperatures and will not flush out. Once it has baked itself to the sides of the jackets, it creates an insulating factor that will forever overheat the cylinders and turn the sleeves blue on the insides of the cylinders also burning piston rings. The only possible way to remove this baked on builup is to hot tank the engine block. Therefore replacement is the desired repair as per hotline.

I always ask myself a question when I am doing a repair: What would I do if it were mine?