bucket trucks

Rate this topic

This question was asked by our local utilities company in this area.What do you do with the boom on the truck if you have to raise the cab to do most all engine work on a 6.4l.We have above ground lifts and can't swing it to the side and our shop has a divider in the center so we would have to hang it out behind the truck.We would than not be able to shut the shop door at night.Maybe i'm overlooking something but I can't think of any other way.

I suppose it all depends on how big the boom is and if the truck runs to run it. Is the ceiling on your shop high enough to raise the boom and bucket over the top of the lift? I had a service truck in with a 6.0L that had a crane on it but I was able to rotate it off to the side enough for the cab to clear. I suppose the bucket makes a big difference.

The utility company which is Blue Ridge Energy of N.C. went and ordered all new Dodges several weeks ago when they discovered this problem and canceled orders on new Fords.They are looking for trucks they can work on themselves after warranty and choose Dodge after looking at all manufacturers and problem history.The 6.0l has put quite a bad taste in thier mouth and when they discovered this issue they said enough is enough.

Is this whats to come with the 6.4L. EVERY Large company has superduties. I cant even count how many super duties all these big electric companies have out here. Thats a big ticket for Ford. I do hear that dodge is having a lot of problems with regeneration on their trucks. Duramax has a variable turbo right? Doesnt cummins? Dont they have the same problems?

Its kind of funny actually. In 2002 when the 6.0l was just coming out and a lot of techs were starting to remove bodies for engine work like cylinder heads and engine r&r, I was at a "roundtable" meeting at the International plant in suburban Chicago. They gave us a tour of the plant and the dyno rooms where they test thier product. We also saw thier shop where they r&r thier engines and do other work on them. The funny part is that they had several special lifts that looked like they were disigned for removing bodies and I think they even had some bodies removed from trucks. These were not your typical twin post lift you see in a Ford dealer. This was before Ford endorsed this procedure.

I guess its all fine and dandy if we all had some of these special lifts and only worked on excursions, stock, empty vans and pick up trucks that didn't have a something over the cab keeping it from coming up. I do remove bodies for 6.0l engine r&r and headgaskets when I can. I have also had to do them in the truck too. I have not had the pleasure to do any major work on a 6.4L.

Is this whats to come with the 6.4L. EVERY Large company has superduties. I cant even count how many super duties all these big electric companies have out here. Thats a big ticket for Ford. I do hear that dodge is having a lot of problems with regeneration on their trucks. Duramax has a variable turbo right? Doesnt cummins? Dont they have the same problems?

Our shop has a customer who works for Cummins in the engine plant. Big problems going on there right now from the little B series (the Dodge) all the way up to class 8 engines.

The Bs are suffering from varying blown pistons, (not isolated to 1 hole, but usually 5 and 6) and others are breaking cranks. This is on the 5.9 as well as the 6.7. No definitive cause has been determined yet. Yes on the VNT.

We don't see many Dmaxes, but a couple of shops nearby have a few fleets with them, they only complain right now of slightly worse fuel mileage. They also have a VNT.

The Dodge doesn't require cab removal/raising until the motor or head has to come out. Most routine stuff can be done without it.

No. I used to go when I lived in Schaumburg. I moved to McHenry 5 years ago and its too far of a drive. Its too bad, because I always picked up a lot of usefull info at those meetings.

I always see the Roundtable and Tech Time broadcast reminders on FMC Dealer but I cant get away from the shop to go watch. I know some of the stuff is rebroadcast and some is recorded for online access on PTS but are the roundtable broadcasts saved too?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif On Edit: Since I have the day off I just went a nd looked around at the broadcasts and this was on the FMC Dealer main page

Quote:
Please Note: CANCELLED - Diesel Technician Roundtable FORDSTAR Broadcast For Monday, November 26, 2007. Reschedule Date: TBD

No. I used to go when I lived in Schaumburg. I moved to McHenry 5 years ago and its too far of a drive. Its too bad, because I always picked up a lot of usefull info at those meetings.

No shit???

I live in McHenry.. where are you working now?

And Tony - we should all go to that Roundtable meeting. MAke your buddy drive and we'll just get tanked.

Dave

No shit???

I live in McHenry.. where are you working now?

And Tony - we should all go to that Roundtable meeting. MAke your buddy drive and we'll just get tanked.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can tell you guys that the new Cummins engines are really nice in the Dodges and the New Sterling/Freightliner Bullets. Everything is meant to come out of the front of the truck. Not the cab off that Ford requires. It doesn't make any sense what Ford is doing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif