no in chassis motor work allowed

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

I was reminded recently of Fords hypochracy and it brought up this question. Why is major engine work on a diesel allowed in chassis but modular motors have to be removed? It's 10 no 20..... 100 times easier to do a set of head gaskets on a 5.4l than a 6.0l in a super duty yet Ford demands you remove the gas engine before you remove the heads.

That brings me to cab offs. They treat you like you will be drawn and quartered if you lift an '07 but wait it's ok on a '08. It's the same frickin' thing except the body unbolts easier on the "forbidden" units.

I don't drink so don't pay me any attention. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

As far as I am concerned, what Ford doesn't know, won't hurt em. I would never do major engine work on an F-series truck without lifting the cab. I just don't tell Ford. I code as if I were doing the job the Ford prescribed way, and usually can do the job in less time, or not much over the book time as found in SLTS. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'm at the top rung of the ladder at my dealer, so I can pretty much do what ever I want. With that said anything that goes on in my bay no matter how crazy it may be, usually doesn't get a second glance.

Brad... I enjoy that same privilege at my store..... We get results... good results and the customers are happy....

When we get something that refuses to be fixed.... I get it.... I ain't special... but I do things that other guys don't...

One of my faves is when I'm asked for advice and give it... and it's not the advice they wanted... After wasted hours, in desparation, my suggestion is tried.... Did I mention that I'm not above saying "I told you so"?

In the name of "one-upmanship".... We have two parades a year in our town... The Santa Claus Parade and our Riverboat Days (summer fair) parade.... We enter a float in any parade that comes along.... I'm the designated float driver (one year we had a SuperDuty decked out as a stagecoach with four Mustangs as the horses).... Now, this ain't as good as it may sound.... Most of our floats are powered by Super Duties.... Most of are floats are impossible to see out of... There isn't a whole lot of difference between "float driver" and "scapegoat"... but, at the very least, they do have faith in my methods....

Sidebar.... if anyone has seen me "performing" on other venues... "faith in my methods" is an overwhelming consideration.... I almost ripped the door off a near new SD CC through a foolish lapse in common sense.... $2500 was the body shop tab.... and that doesn't include the cost of the loaner or any other considerations we offered the customer.... I felt like sh!t and the DP laughed at me..... Anyone here can have this kind of job... all you need to do is apply yourself.

Jim I can't say that I would want to be in your shoes other than I can feel your pain,(rather your pleasure). I have had the same types of problems come up in front of me, my other parts mongers that I work with just try to order any parts they can in stead of asking for help.

For anybody that logs on our Forum here at DTS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif...

ALL I ASK IS THAT THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK. I WOULD RATHER HAVE TO ANSWER THEM NUMEROUS TIMES THAN TO HAVE TO FIX THEM MY SELF

I don't get it either though...

Just put a head on an Aviator for burned exhaust valves (cylinder 8), paid out close to 20 hours and took me an honest 8. And I wasn't even busting ass or anything either, if it came down to it, you could have probably gotten it done in 6 or 7 if you were absolutely determined to.

Just the way the head gasket crumbles.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I'm with all you guys. our manager was against taking bodies off. until I finally just did one and he seen how easy it was. He hasn't complained since. This from the man who got mad I took a little old ranger box off to do a fuel pump!

That's the only way to fly especially if it has a full tank of fuel. The only thing that sucks is if you jump the gun and replace the pump and then find out that the inertia switch connector got dislodged by a passengers big feet.