Further proof that engineers.......

Rate this topic

Have absolutely no common sense, and that anytime they design something, a dirt under the fingernails non collegiate (That does not mean unschooled or untrained) professional mechanic needs to be standing next to him to point out the obvious.

As a result, for instance, we would not be pulling cabs for stupid shit like this.

Posted Image

Oh yeah! Brilliant! Lets just lay the wire on the head of a bolt without any protection from, whats that thing that diesels do?

Vibrate? Rattle?

For those that have never seen this, here ya go.

Posted Image

Mind you, the chaffe is almost microscopic, smaller than a pinhead, but enough to cripple a $70,000+ business vehicle, this is not a happy customer, who sees his future with his 450 as bleak at best.

Is it a problem? Yup. And they knew it, you can bank on it.

The replacement part is now covered in loom.

Got a bad feelin' I'll be doing more of these.

You guys get all the glory.... We are seeing squat for repairs on these things.... I did an injector and a UVC harness on one and a radiator on another.... Our other two techs are still working on 6.0s. And yes - we have scads of these on the road....

But.... we are at that time of year when an owner will run the damned thing until it wont move rather than miss a day in the field...

There's a half mug of beer on the bar...... The pessimist says it is half empty.... the optimist says it is half full.... the engineer says the mug is too big.

I can't think of anything I haven't done on a 7.3L or 6.0L, but my 6.4L is limited to the classroom training and two trucks one had a deformed connector for the FRP sensor one had a bad electric fuel pump. No glory here either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Wow, I have never said I was perfect, I got paid for the job, I guess I could be sweeping the floors. People, even engineers can make a mistake. My deal is to fix the 70K truck and have the owner come back for other work. Just taking care of business

Wow, I have never said I was perfect, I got paid for the job, I guess I could be sweeping the floors. People, even engineers can make a mistake. My deal is to fix the 70K truck and have the owner come back for other work. Just taking care of business

Putting astonauts in an oxygen rich atmosphere is a mistake. allowing substandard electrics to be in that atmosphere is poor judgement and a lack of common sense, in that case it was also criminal.

I did not say engineers were not smart, just lacking in common sense.

BTW, I'm tired of fixing their "MISTAKES" as you put it.

Torq Shift retaining ring anyone?

Quote:

Now I know for a fact that that little doozie was not an engineering blunder. That was caused by the part supplier... but I asked "don't the people at the assembly plant check the parts they are installing?" The reply was "No." I guess it's like not inspecting spark plugs and not setting the gap before installing them. Oooooops!

As for the pump gasket and the wire chafing, I have to agree that it it in a way, amazing that with all of the testing, tear downs and inspections that SOMEBODY did not notice the potential for a problem there. Perhaps the luck with previous engines and the under cover wiring for injectors and glow plugs provided a sense of complacency. I have pictures of the same failure. Maybe its the procedures we have to go through to fix this "little oversight" that lites a fire under our asses?

On the truck I was having "fuel pump" problems with I was waiting for the pump gasket to come off of back order. It was on backorder because of revisions made to prevent chafing... I hope it warms your hearts to know that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Should I post an article with pictures on that too? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Again at the Round table keith he talked about it. The harness was revised, then it was revised even further to ensure that it wouldnt happen again.

Also Seimens has been testing pumps and told International that the pump blowing fuse 74 doesnt affect the pump at all. They used to tell hotline engineers that if the harness it chafed then you MUST replace the pump but now they are reversing that statement.

They thought the pump was being full-fielded when grounded on the ground side but it had no effect on pump performance.

Quote:

Now I know for a fact that that little doozie was not an engineering blunder. That was caused by the part supplier... but I asked "don't the people at the assembly plant check the parts they are installing?" The reply was "No." I guess it's like not inspecting spark plugs and not setting the gap before installing them. Oooooops!

Keith,

At the time of that disaster, the SM we had said he had been in a meeting with Ford coporate and that the comment was made that the engineer who changed the design of the retaining ring " Would be lucky if he ever engineered anything more than paperclips in the future"

I was not there so I can not say for sure if that was what went down. However, I would not put it past the evil empire to put the blame on someone not directly in their employ.

As far as pump replacement, the hotline told me that "If the chaffe was on the yellow wire, replace the pump. If it was on the red wire, replace the fuse".

Go off of hotlines recomendations, but im just passing along what he told us. Either wire touching, it doesnt matter n e more. The power wire replace fuse, but with the groundside wire they thought if would full field the pump causing a falure. I would go off whatever hotline said because i wouldnt want to do it twice