IDS Shakedown

Rate this topic

Perhaps I was a little harsh in the first post concerning the new IDS though some good ideas came from that thread. I decided it was time to make a point to use the gear and start collecting some likes and dislikes.

One of my first tasks was to update a PCM... "the database was out of date" and IDS spit up an error message. Here we go. I called the Hotline. Very helpful. As it turns out Gentlemen, this software needs to be kept meticulously up-to-date because if you are more than one software level behind, you cant update your calibration files. Great concept, but it bends you over and screws you if you are not aware of this! It took me 3 hours to update the application, then the calibrations because of networking issues with the LAN.

Which leads me to another lesson I learned today concerning the Internet connection. My company runs a firewall requiring users to log-in before accessing our network or the Internet. No big deal but establishing that connection BEFORE starting the IDS application was the key for me. Sooooo, be aware of that if you even think that you are going to have to update a PCM or update the IDS software and calibration database!!! Initially I did not and ended up chasing a false LAN problem. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

:cheers-jeers: I like the wireless LAN. Our shop is set up with a wireless network and the added freedom is priceless. I highly recommend that you go wireless if at all possible.

:cheers-jeers: Speed wins. Not only does the IDS application run much faster than WDS could even dream about, you can run multiple applications and switch back and forth. What do I mean? Open a vehicle session and begin pulling codes. Open an Internet Explorer window and log onto FMC dealer and access the service manual. Nice!

:jeers-cheers: Which leads me back to the small screen size. A larger screen with a higher resolution would allow you to open both and VIEW both simultaneously. I know I am asking too much.

What has been your experience?

Yes, I love the wireless network also.

No more taking the WDS back to the docking station and waiting.

Our flunkie lube guy dropped one of our IDS' and broke the connector housing.The sad part is, he did not tell anyone he dropped it. The next person that used it would have had to "pay" for the repairs.

Speed is a definate PLUS :cheers-jeers:

Wireless is absolutely the way to go. I installed all the wireless in the shop over the last 2 years, and the IDS just fit right in nicely.

Since I use my own laptop to run the software, it also means I'm not too worried about someone dropping my PC.

The only annoying thing I've run across so far is that the VCM software seems to update almost every day or so - this just means the first session of takes a little longer to get running, so not the end of the world.

Overall at this point, a definte double :cheers-jeers::cheers-jeers:

[QB]

The only annoying thing I've run across so far is that the VCM software seems to update almost every day or so - this just means the first session of takes a little longer to get running, so not the end of the world.

do you mean IDS tries to update the VCM code? if thats happening all the time when you connect the VCM to the laptop and fire up IDS, make sure your at the latest level of IDS software. the VCM software should only update with a new release of IDS software or the VCM software doesnt match with the level of IDS software your using. we have had that problem in our shop too because one tech wasnt current with his IDS software and everytime he used IDS on his laptop it would try and update the VCM first.

Check broadcast messages... In the last few days there's been one regarding IDS level 43 software.

I have out VCMs and our VMM kit (including the special cable for the VDR) in my hot little hands... ToughBooks are still on backorder.

Did I mention that the VMM comes crammed into a really pretty plastic box?

Since I use my own laptop to run the software, it also means I'm not too worried about someone dropping my PC.

OK? Very basic qestions...I'm starting from scratch here!

1. What are the options for using your "own" computer and just buy the cables needed?

2. Can you use a desktop with wireless card for IDS use "in bay"?

3. Will XP Home Edition work or only XP Pro?

The shop I think I'm going to has no PDS or IDS yet...I thought the IDS was just a download? Or are they just talking about getting the Toughbooks with it allready loaded?

If this company has these why can't ford get them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Floo...1QQcmdZViewItem

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by LR Mike:

QUOTE]OK? Very basic qestions...I'm starting from scratch here!

1. What are the options for using your "own" computer and just buy the cables needed?

2. Can you use a desktop with wireless card for IDS use "in bay"?

3. Will XP Home Edition work or only XP Pro?

The shop I think I'm going to has no PDS or IDS yet...I thought the IDS was just a download? Or are they just talking about getting the Toughbooks with it allready loaded?

:rolleyes:

you can just buy the cables if you have access to a VCM. the software can be downloaded.

has to be run on XP pro, home will not work

wireless to the VCM doesnt work yet, no word if it will ever work. a desktop will work if it meets the minimum specs.

Just check the minimum specs on the PTS website, basically any middle range up laptop you buy will more than meet the minimum.

Has to be XP Pro - the software won't even try to load without it.

If you use a desktop, it may work OK if it's in a cart, like the old SBTS cart, you'll be limited by the length of the cable (which is actually pretty long) and you won't be able to use datalogger or any other tests while driving.

I'm using an HP DV1000, it works great. The best is that you can have the PTS service manuals and the IDS running at the same time in different windows.

I've never seen the other commpany before (Ebay seller) but they are asking 2X as much for the PDS as RTTP, with just a pelican case added??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Quote:
you can just buy the cables if you have access to a VCM. the software can be downloaded.

has to be run on XP pro, home will not work

wireless to the VCM doesnt work yet, no word if it will ever work. a desktop will work if it meets the minimum specs.

Any comments on the above EBay link? Do you suppose they are selling stuff they don't actually have?

Thanks for the info. I have a spare desk-top that will do what I need. Just will have to buy the cables, XP Pro and give it a douche'!

Are the cables i need readily availble? Cost? The shop says it has one vcm for IDS use...I don't guess they have a computer, I'm assuming they are waiting for the laptop, to put it on/in/whatever... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif

Hmmm? I smell smoke? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Quote:
Can you run two HD's in the same computer using different operating systems?
Yes, you can do that. You can even run two operating systems on one hard drive if you partition the drive.

One of my bros in the shop is the resident computer geek,in fact runs his own business as

a side.

Sooooo, when there are issues Dan gets the nod.

Management has basically left things up to him.

At least we(the techs)know things are being taken care of.

I'm told that there now enough ToughBooks in Canada for them to start shipping. We have two VCMs and one VMM gathering dust in the meantime (as well as the needed VDR cable).

WDSs are giving grief again, so this wont be before time...

That will be two PDSs, two WDSs and two IDSs in a shop that currently has only 7 warm bodies in it...

I think that calls for a "NEENER - NEENER - NEENER"... :P /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/king.gif

I'm told that there now enough ToughBooks in Canada for them to start shipping. We have two VCMs and one VMM gathering dust in the meantime (as well as the needed VDR cable).

WDSs are giving grief again, so this wont be before time...

That will be two PDSs, two WDSs and two IDSs in a shop that currently has only 7 warm bodies in it...

I think that calls for a "NEENER - NEENER - NEENER"... :P /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/king.gif

lol need any techs /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif seriously though once you get your IDS up and running youll be like i was, how did we go this long on the slow old WDS.

Rich... that's a question you shouldn't have asked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

A 9 bubble Master gets $35 per flat rate hour. Make 100 hours in a period (about half a month) and get $2 per hour bonus for every hour flagged. I'm booked about 2 weeks in advance and the rest of the guys are in the same ballpark.

Seven new bays are coming this summer... one will be designated "wash bay", another "equipment bay" and the rest working bays.

DP is a firm believer in training and good tools...

Anyone interested can drop a resume at http://www.slford.com

Yes, this a blatant ad for employment.

Through all of this, the WDS has been there for me... well, after I rebooted it...

OK.. ToughBooks came in on this mornings courier... External CD drives are being shipped separately and will arrive in 4 to 8 weeks. WTF is anyone thinking of?

Thankfully, I can mooch a USB drive from my association with the fire department and we can get these up and running in the next day or two...

Anyone interested can drop a resume at http://www.slford.com

Yes, this a blatant ad for employment.

Don't forget that the DTS employment hub is FREE!

Anyone may list job openings and place an ad and I encourage you to do so.

CLICKIE HERE!