Repeat coking

Rate this topic

I sure everyone knows the causes of excessive coking,but i'm not sure if all know this.I have a 06 with repeat egr failure due to carbon holding valve open.Yesterday I removed the egr valve stuck open with a big chunk of carbon.removed chunk,cleaned valve and vacuumed intake best I could.Today shows back up on hook with same problem.I wrote to hotline to see what they have to offer.They state to check actual milage by multilping run time by 33.run time was ,as I remember,1740 hours.That comes to 57420 miles..milage on odometer is 39000.The math tells me that this truck is idling alot.Am I wrong,or is this truck idling more than 30 percent of the time?Customer swears not and says he uses cetane booster too.What's your guys opinion.

It's going to be rare to find a customer that will admit to doing things he knows he shouldn't...

Something to consider.... this truck may be subject to a lot of low speed driving... if the low speed driving involves light engine loads, there may not be a whole lot of difference between this and "idling".

Most all of these same customers depend on their trucks as their "lifeline"... When I left the house to go to work this AM, it was -41C. Out in the bush, these guys use their trucks as respite from the cold... Some of them are loathe to shut their trucks off "just in case".... Even these guys will deny extended idling, even though the truck idles for much of their workday.

Sometimes we can fix a concern because of what our customers tell us... other times, we fix it in spite of what our customers tell us.

Slight hyjack. According to the C-F converters, under feezing, it's the same temp? -41C = -40.5F? Doesn't make sense to me?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

That's one of the fun things about mathematics - those quirky little things that make you sit up and take notice. True, -40 is the same in both C and F. But just as they deviated from each other above -40, they also deviate below -40. Check out the following graph:

Posted Image

The reason lies within the C/F relation. Remember the 5/9th's fraction in it? Well, 40 (the "distance" between 0 and -40) is evenly divisible by 5, while 72 (the "distance" between +32 and -40) is evenly divisible by 9.

Also interesting that the lowest temperature that Ford computers are capable of reading is -40... Coincidence?

Jim -41 is that all? It was -47 here this am without the windchill....almost t-shirt weather down in SL....I wonder how cold it is in Dwayne's neck of the woods.

I see a lot or repeat coking. I usually end up replacing the egr coolers as they are plugged solid, cleaning the turbos, replacing the egr valves and intakes. Most of the time they will need one or more injectos as well. Idle time is what does it up here because you simply can't shut them off at -40 they will never restart. Even plugged in they won't go. damned if you do damned if you don't kind of deal.

Dealer I just left had made a habit of sending out the intake to have it acid bathed or steam cleaned to remove all carbon inside. Worked REALLY well, we started doing this after we had one come back jammed with a chunk of carbon a couple times.

What does this cost and does Ford pay for it?

I've had it done at a local engine shop quite a few times. Costs about 75 bucks up here. Ford will pay for it. I usually contact hotline first, and you get one of those, "Clean if possible, or replace as necessary" responses...

Hotline told me to clean intake first.Also staed to remove plug from top of turbo.Run engine up slowly to 3000 rpm's.if any oil comes out replace vgt solenoid and turbo oil return pipe.Customer paid for this cleaning,

Unsure of the cost in this area, but Ford has been paying for it. Call the hotline first. Suggest that or changing the intake. Betcha they'll let you clean it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif