Black goo in the cooling system

Rate this topic

I have a 04 F350 in the bay at this time with black goo in the cooling system. Ford hotline wants me to replace the engine oil cooler to start with. Fun job any one else see this problem. Funny the trans is low and the engine oil level is down slightly. Its not red in the degas bottle so I am going after the engine oil cooler.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Here's a thought: Have you installed UV dye in the engine oil and tried to detect it in the coolant de-gas bottle? As far as changing the oil cooler it's really not that bad of a job on a 6L PSD. I think I would prefer it to the 7.3L PSD because it's right up on top.

Quote:
Did you check for combustion gases in bottle??
dzltech, how do you check for combustion gasses in the cooling system? Other than odor and using a pressure tester the only other way I know of is to use a Co2 sniffer which I do have but I am not sure that it works with the diesels. (I have yet to test positive)

• 5 months later...

The degas bottle can be a PITA to get clean, I usually replace that.

There's a TSB that says that flushing it twice will do the trick... I'd like some of what they're smoking.

I just tried the search function for the first time and it worked well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif wink! wink!

Heres a post that might help ya! Oil Cooler #3

I haven't had any bad oil coolers on the 6.0L but some of the guys in that thread may have some advice for you.

Oddball service tip... I used one of the jacking beams on my 4 poster to lift the exhaust downpipe out of the way. You would not believe the amount of room this opens up for intake installation and EGR cooler hook-up.