inford message board

Rate this topic

Steve Mutter

Why do some techs use the Ford message board to tell Ford that they need to cut the labour times,I was just on it today and there is a tech bragging about how fast he can do headgaskets on a 6.0,I can just see it now, a new tsb and a new cut time,just look what happened to the egr cooler hose, they probably will not change the time but I guess what I am trying to say is that it is nice that he can do headgaskets fast but can he tell somebody other than big brother? just my two cents

Would that be Rick Impey? I've had the misforune of being in class with him a couple of times. Open your dictionary to "wiener".... look at the picture.

FWIW.... For two days now, I haven't been able to access the message board.... I did post my e-mail address a couple of times with what I had hoped were vague references to "something different"....

I hope I haven't started down some slippery slope......

YES, I agree 100%. If you have read some of Rick Impey's posts, it leaves one with the impression that he seems like a Sobey's meat department employee, or that everything that comes out of his mouth are just plain verbal diarrhea. I have come across more than my share of those kind of guys, during my travels through Ford school. You get an ear bleed after being around them for so long.

What do you think guys? Do you think he even cleans the gasket surfaces? I'm thinking he just might be lifting the heads without removing the Rocker arms, push rods, and injectors, and sliding the old gasket out and sliding the new one in. Maybe he's one of those guys that smothers the gasket with silicone before he puts it in place. I can't understand how he can do it in that amount of time without even worrying about quality.

Oh sh!t, I think I figured it out: Iron tite stop leak! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

All I know is that he likes to use the term "roll it in like a donut".... whatever that may mean....

We are just down the road from his dealer.... can we say "repeat repairs" boys and girls?

Dwayne, I hope you're not even actually trying to waste space in your brain to try and figure how "Super Tech" manages to achieve that. I'm actually beginning to think that someone from his workplace was playing "funny man" by posting that comment. What say you, Jim? Since, you've been to school with him, would he actually be dumb enough?

FWIW.... I just tried again... I still can't access message board. I may go down in history as the first Canadian tech banned from this feature....

I'm getting to the point with that feature of INFORD that I may just try to be the second.

If I can make reference to the posts about 6.4L cab-on turbo removal. I have never done one, but one of my co-workers has done 2 HPFP cab-on, and each time took him close to 3 days. I should mention the tech. in question is by no means the fastest that I have ever worked with, but if you may recall that someone made reference that they could do that repair cab-on in less than 1 day... whether you can do that or not, making posts like such will likely make big-brother say... "Well, if he can do it, everybody else should be able to".

No Michael, I could care less about how he does it. I would just like to figure out how to get paid properly for doing the repair properly.

And before you tie into me about proper stories on this one Jim, I am extremely thorough on my diag, repairs and stories. We have a new warranty clerk at our dealership that believes that she is only allowed five lines of explanation for a warranty claim when my stories are usually three or four pages. And she doesn't believe that the Tech Hotline report that I staple to the R.O. is part of the story eventhough I tell her to include it in the story. We went through a Stage two Audit in October and when the warranty auditors and my D.P. sat down with me, they told me I was too thorough on my stories and needed to just get to point and keep it simple. After a whole weak of reviewing kicked back R.O's I pissed off my warranty clerk and Assistant Service Manager by telling them the the clerk needs to get her shit together. My D.P was standing around the corner when I said this and didn't say a word to me. Turns out, you can't fit three pages of something you don't understand into five lines. Man, I miss our other warranty clerk. She really knows her stuff and can read between the lines.

Sorry for the Highjack. But I still don't get it.

Far be it from me to bust your chops on a warranty story, Dwayne. We're going through the same thing.... Any reference I've made in the past is to get guys to include info that they miss and miss getting paid for.

I'm sure that we all know that we need to treat every RO story so that someone that isn't in the loop can know what we checked, what we found and what we did (one of my urchins recently handed in an RO that simply said "removed door panel... fixed lock" He failed to mention the switch bezel he broke.... The customer, however, brought it to our attention).

Point to ponder... rather than being combative, it might be time for some mutual assistance.... (teamwork, remember?). Yes, it is going to take time away from more profitable endeavours.... but it will pay off in the long run. Face it.... warranty clerk isn't a job you'd want... You'd probably be banging your head into the corner of a filing cabinet instead of a hood... on purpose, to boot. If your day is anything like mine, you will be both pitied and scorned at the same time (Abraham Lincoln forgot to say "you can't please anybody.... period.").

Last year, our old warranty wench went and got pregnant (of all the nerve...). Her replacement got off to a rocky start.... but is doing well. We often collaborate to maximize our warranty claims or to get a tough one through.

FWIW, Ford is down to asking for headbolts and gaskets back for some claims.... They seem to be making it hard to get a claim approved.... and, at the same time, making it hard to report a claim accurately....

Now, more than ever, we need to pull together for this kind of stuff.... And our urchins need to get a firm grip on reality.

How about down yonder, south of the Border? You guys got any Supertechs that post on your message boards that they do head gaskets in 9.5 hours? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boxing.gif

Well, there is one named Rick Harisson who has an overly big mouth and desperately needs his teeth kicked in. He works at some dealer in Washington, and was the corporate bitch who volunteered to do an in dealer time review on a 6.0 bedplate reseal. He was more worried about impressing the slts people than worrying about his own best interests. After Busting his ass to get his bedplate done in 11 hours, he had the balls to write a summary which Ford put on the Power Stroke Central page talking about how he was able to beat the book time by over an hour, and it included hand torquing all of the bolts and cleaning his stall afterward. I just hope he comes to Minnesota so I can clean something of his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

I also recall a ballsy statement he added about techs wasting time during the day and so forth... wish I could find that text to quote it accurately. A head gasket job for me is legitimately about 16+ or so hours, doing both heads, meticulously cleaning the gasket surfaces, cleaning and replacing injector seals. Oh, does this include diagnostics? Unfortunately for me, in my position as a team leader/foreman I am constantly interrupted or jumping on and off jobs therefore it is not uncommon for ME to have 20-25 hours PUNCHED on a head gasket job. My point is that you don't hear me complaining and if I were a ball of fire I also would not be bragging. I was going to comment that we are being too hard on these guys but after some real thought, some things really need to be left out of the mainstream. Common tips and tricks are okay but, well, you know? After all, Ford corporate employees are just doing their jobs and yes, they are here too.

So lets give a warm hello to our resident warranty spies! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif It would be great to have open dialog with some of you corporate guys and gals but I understand the environment you work in in does not favor such activity. I don't think that SLTS Review sheets are the answer.

Oh, I didn't mean "corporate bitch" as in actually being an employee of Ford Motor Company, I meant that he's a dealer tech who is a little too much of a "company man" if you know what I mean. Like some of the arrogant second Lieutenants in Nam who their entire platoon would swear were victims of "Charlie", but Like Jim said, look up wiener in the dictionary and you'll all understand the real reason why they never made it back home. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

BRANDON DAVIS from Freeway Ford ( might have been one of the techs that told my buddys dad he's reversing too much and off roading too much ) He said "HEAD GASKETS NEVER FAIL AND I KNOW SO BECAUSE WE ARE THE BIGGEST VOLUME DEALER IN IL!!!!!!!!!" i wanna drive over there and slam his head in his craftsman toolbox that probably only filled with lube tech tools. I've heard stories about him from people that have worked with him... all talk...no backing up...

I remember when the 6.0 first came out,that Harrison character yapping about how he was involved in the time study for engine re and re. How they chose him for his close proximity to Dearborn and how he did engine r&r to do rear main seal. I just had to mention that Walla Walla or where ever in Washington he was from was 3000 miles from Dearborn and no one removes the engine for rear main seal. As for Impy, I have been hoping to see him at the Pacific training center to see if he is as big an ass as he makes out to be on the message board.

The Super Techs are referred to as Hero's in our shop. Office thinks they are wonderful, they are unable to diagnose, dont clean their bay, clean any parts, whats a torque wrench? do not return parts or correctly write service reports. They throw parts at the problem. But their times are great. Then when the same truck comes back we end up fixing it (and most of it comes back).

Most of my time is spent on paperwork. But Cat only pays for fixing complaint. If I was to just do physical repair, a 40 hour job would end up being 15-20. We would not get paid, but the times would be great. Ford warranty work appears very similar to CATs fantasy land times. Cat is under the impression that the engines are only sold to engine stand customers.

I left out computer time, looking up parts, researching procedures, or diagnostics that are now reaching 30+ pages, and only on computer. We are paperless, so we print everthing so we can read it while communicating with ecm. Sorry for the thread jack, just nice to see super techs are everywhere, and management is conveniently blind to this.

I may not be the fastest, but its always cheaper to do the repair once.

Quote:

come on I do those recalls in 0.1. I just drive it in and use a creeper 10mm rachet wrench and a pry bar and it is done.

Well guys, we have another "hero" who thinks that 0.3 is too much for 07S57 on the Canadian Message board. Jim, Dwayne, Alex and everyone else?