6.0L Econoline

Rate this topic

What sick S.O.B. came up with the idea of stuffing a 6.0 in a van? Anything more than an oil change looks to be a total nightmare to do. Read the instructions for doing an EGR valve - remove both engine mounts...that is if you are going to use the EGR remover that Ford sent. Personally, I have found that using two pinch bars works very well for all 6.0 EGR valves. Does anybody else have any 6.0 Econoline nightmares?

As if a 6.0L Econoline wasn't enough, my dealer also has a guy that is in love with Quigley 4X4 vans. They take a regular E350 and add a transfer case, front axle and jack the sucker up. If the clearance in the engine compartment was tight to begin with, this modification makes it worse be cause adding the transfer case changes the angle of the engine. Need parts or a manual? You have to call the guy at Quigley. See one coming, RUN!

Ford engineers,I believe are sado/masacists.How stupid is it to cram 10 lbs of s**t in to a 3 lb box?As for 6.0 replacements-I have done 9 and 4 bedplates,11 y_pipes and have left several inches of skin and blood on everyone of them.

Ohh yeah,great site here for us slaves to the blue oval.

• 3 weeks later...

Had an '04 in a few weeks back that needed injectors on the passenger bank. What an ordeal. The owner uses it for business so already had over 50K on it, but had been more trouble free than most Super Duties I have seen. He loves the thing. After the job, I had a chat with him that after he was out of warranty he would be hard pressed to afford anyone to repair it. Most indies will be awhile to coming up to speed on the sick-o and frankly, I told him (politely) I would nail him hard on any job, if I chose to do it all. This engine is simply not fun in an Econoline. There is better work out there. He was OK with it, but I bet he trades out before his 100K warranty is up.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif Well I think I screwed (jinxed) myself by making this post. After an experience with injectors on the drivers side (see the "Balloon Test" article on the mainpage) I now have a 2005 Econoline 6.0L that has to come out. Combustion out the coolant bottle, coolant and oil out the exhaust. Here's the best part, the customer just dropped it off and said the heat didn't work. Care to add anything to that sir? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif WTF!

Oh boy I can't wait! Thankfully we have not sold one of these abortions yet, but odds are I'll get one from some other dealer who is smart enough to say they can't work on them [Read WON'T!!].

Has anybody figured out how to get a van body off?

Oh wait, it's a C/C with an affixed 20' box! HA HA! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

• 3 months later...

Yes, I agree the E with a 6.0 (or 7.3) is a disaster. Worse for me, I've built a decent customer base with regional ambulance services...let me tell you, ambulance conversions suck X 1,000,000,000 in every manner conceiveable. We have one 03 E ambulance conversion coach that is something out of The Shining. I'm not paid enough. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Well, if I can say anything good as far as this topic goes it would be that misery loves company. At least I can say that my reaction to a diesel Econoline should be considered normal. Whew! I was getting worried there for a moment. One good thing I guess is that I am finding new wire chafe locations on a 2005 that is cutting out... and yes, I will add them to the collection.

I have a 6.0 liter econiline that came from antoher dealer that said they wont touch it ...anyways it appears that the egr cooler let go and the driver kept going till it stopped ...he drove it so long and so far like this the degas bottle is now a ball of plastic

the end of the dipstick is melted and i cant get the cam sensor out because it is melted ...tomorrow i get to remove valve covers to find out why it has no wind or rpm signal...looked in the oil fill tube with borascope and it appears the oil rail is melted

i cant wait to see inside ..o ya cant wait to pull the engine with out the proper tools ( on order will take two to three weeks ) but sm wants it out here we go /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

I can't wait to see the pics of that mess Doc. We have a contract with a air port parking lot that just got a bunch of new 6.0 E350s. I cant pull the body's off these so I am hoping they hold up or all catch fire. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

FMT

holy crap ....... that sucked ..anyways i pulled

a 6.0 out of a e350 today and it took all day

o ya i pulled the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif egine with out the proper gear

old fashion chain and hoist boy that was the worst but anyways .... cant wait to run into a ford engineer that came up with this idea

Quote:
cant wait to run into a ford engineer that came up with this idea
Get behind ME - I get the first crack at em! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Oh man, I can't believe you had to do that with chains /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif because the hoist adapters make life so much easier and SAFER. I never planned on pulling so many of these engines but I am very grateful that my service department stepped-up and got one for us. They also bought a new OTC engine hoist to replace an old hoist I was using that was hard to move when an engine was loaded on it. We were pulling a 7.3 one day and got it bouncing a little too much - the hoist failed and the engine hit the floor. Just for the record guys, diesel engines don't bounce!