About Cetane

Rate this topic

According to Ford, "Powerstroke diesel engines are designed to perform best at a minimum of 40 cetane." I have been told that the factory puts 50 cetane fuel in the tank. Fuel quality is definately something to consider when a vehicle has performance issues. Other than Rotunda, does anyone know where to find a cetane trester? I used to have one, I broke it long ago and have asked all the usual tool distributors with no luck. (Snap-on - Mac - Matco) This was a specific gravity type tester with a glass tube.

I don't know where to get one. I also believe that poor fuel quality is causing a lot of the driveability issues we are seeing on the 6.0l. Especially the problems with the EGR system.

I had a truck come in a couple of days ago that had 15,000mi. The EGR valve was almost completely covered with soot. This truck didn't spend a lot of time idling either.

The fuel hydrometer reads API specific gravity.

It's not actually a cetane tester.

I use the Kent-Moore hydrometer, I would think the OTC model is similiar or the same. I have never used a Cummins tester. Always price out Rotunda diesel engine tools through OTC and Kent-Moore to get the most for your money. Last tool I priced from Rotunda was lots higher than either. Can't say that will always be the case but worth checking out.

I can supply any tool numbers you might need for Int'l dealer tools and K-M carries a lot for the S30 and S40 (444E and 466E).

OTC(Int'l essential) #ZTSE4188 ph# 800-520-2584

K-M #J-38614-B ph# 800-328-6657

Cummins #3822442 see local dist.

Quote:
The fuel hydrometer reads API specific gravity. It's not actually a cetane tester.
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanx for the Part Numbers. My tool distributors looked at me like I have two heads so I gave up years ago. I know it measures specific gravity but it will let me know when I'm dealing with some funky fuel.

I did some reasearch on cetane testing and oh my God! To properly figure it out you need a lot of expensive equipment and a degree in refining. I'll settle for the hydromeder. LOL

• 4 months later...

Who has used either of these? I was just involved with a 2004 F-350 with 60K miles. Came from North Carloina and since 52K miles it keeps plugging EGR's. At 57K the tech replaced the intake manifold and the EGR. After that,it came back with a nice chunk of carbon stuck in the valve. It would have been nice to be able to check the fuel, in case the owner is filling up with 100+ gallons (60 gallon in-bed tank)outside California.

I am pretty sure that it was a Ford Special Service Tool back in the New Holland engine days or possibly for the 6.9L. I remember digging it out of a closet at work after seeing it at a training class for the FORD/Cummins FD-series diesels. I have used it... and I dropped it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif and still have yet to replace it. I DO have the calibrated float that was inside since it did not break. Realistically, all I need is to find a new glass tube and squeeze ball and I am set.

Almost forgot. Navistar reminds us that just because the cetane is good, does not mean the fuel is good. If you really suspect fuel issues, they suggest draining the fuel(of course, it never seems to fail that the customer just filled the tank)and using fuel out of a stock unit with factory fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I got my tester working but now I cant find my "specific gravity-to-cetane number" conversion chart that originally came with it. Remind you that this was a Rotunda service tool that was made by the Sun corporation.

Would anybody have this sheet or access to any archives that might have this information?

Yessssssssss! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Thank you Brad, I have been looking for this info for a couple of years now. I am guessing you have one of those hydrometers?

And the fuel sample in question ended up having a cetane "measurement" of 43. Wow, I remember not seeing anything coming from the stations any higher than 41. I have a couple 650's to PDI this week, let's see if it's true about the 50 cetane from the factory the Hot Line told me about. (assuming some accuracy on the tools part)

Glad to help. Ours is an old shop tool that I think I am the only one who knows where it is and what it does. I had to blow the dust off the instruction sheet for you. I never even thought to test the E450 I did a PDI on today. I'd like to see if it is true about the factory fuel being better as well. Let us know...

Brad