TSB Claiming Policies

Rate this topic

mchan68

Hi guys, I'm just curious about something. I recently got a "spanking" from my warranty clerk for a chargeback. Vehicle in question was a 2003 F-350 city truck that came in with turbo boost issues. Under TSB 08-04-07, I determined that cleaning the turbo as outlined in the article was appropriate, along with installation of the updated drain tube (6C3Z-9T515-A). Well, a couple weeks later the claim bounced. I was informed that I CANNOT claim a labour op under a TSB because it was out of basic warranty, but still within DIT warranty. WTF? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif I could very easily have slam-dunked a turbo on it, and punted the truck. But such a move would only drive our warranty up through the roof, if it isn't already bad enough that I work with a bunch of guys that think that they can "MT everything under the sun". And now, I just had a "walk-in" with a 2004 F-350 with an issue of plumes of black and white smoke along with a severe bucking and bogging down while accelerating. Apparently this guy was "referred" specifically to me by someone who was very satisified with my repair of his vehicle. Wanting to make a good impression on this new first time customer, I did the usual quick tests, which very quickly and easily resulted in both coolers and EGR valve replacement. As such, both TSBs 07-21-9 and 08-3-7 apply. Unit had 90,000 kms. Again, out of basic, but within DIT. Should I have claimed this repair under the SLTS labour ops, or should there have been two separate RO lines? The reason I ask is because I got "spanked" in the past for a repair that I DDIDN'T claim under a TSB. I'm confused.

Mike, just out of curiosity..... Did you state what you did on the RO or simply quote the labour op number?

I get the feeling that it may be a mistake on the warranty clerks side but........

I was informed that I CANNOT claim a labour op under a TSB because it was out of basic warranty, but still within DIT warranty.

That is news to me. Take this quote directly from the TSB:

Quote:
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

So what is the keyword here? Eligibility or Coverage??? If a repair is covered by the DIT warranty but not eligible because of time or mileage then technically you are correct... but...

There seems to be something funny here because I do know that I perform recalls (including this one) under the Diesel Engine Warranty all the time and it is never questioned. I can tell you that if we perform a repair like this under the Diesel Engine Warranty and DON'T CLAIM IT AS A TSB the claim bounces and we are questioned about it. The warranty Nazi's have turned into penny pinching policy watch dogs and they feed by chewing your asses out if you step out of line denying any and all claims that are not 100% correct. I have long been told that if there is a TSB that applies to a repair it is to be used. Period.

Maybe I am wrong (it happens more than you think) so I will have to discuss this with my WA on Monday.

Mike, just out of curiosity..... Did you state what you did on the RO or simply quote the labour op number?

I get the feeling that it may be a mistake on the warranty clerks side but........

Yes, in ALL repairs performed I "write my story" on the hard copy outlining the three CCCs.

However do not be surprised if Ford kicks this new one back because you claimed the EGR TSB.

Just happened to me, they said they understood the EGR valves go south due to the EGR and oil cooler taken a dump so you should just use 12650D30.

WTF, you clowns just got done telling me not to use ANY 12650 labor ops when using a TSB or diag sheet.

These fuckers are trying to save pennies at our expense.

Posted Image

Bravo! My frustration with the warranty Nazi's is at the limits. We didn't build these pieces of sh!t. We just try to hang in there and do what we can to keep these fargin self destructing grenades running. I think we should organize a meeting on their door steps and open up a can of woop ass! Just kidding Jim.

I was led to believe by our warranty clerk that TSB's only apply 3/60. We have had claims kicked back because of this. My understanding is that the warranty Nazi's are an outside company hired by Ford, likely to bring costs down. They are like an insurance company, deny, deny, deny, then if you argue long and hard enough, you will get paid. The people working there actually know nothing or at least very little about what we do at our end. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Something else I am not gettin' here. TSBs traditionally pay less than individual labor ops so why would Ford not pay after 3/36?

All parts covered under Ford's 5/100 diesel powertrain warranty can and according to Ford, should be replaced using applicable TSBs.

Your warranty clerk is a moron, or maybe they do it differently in Canuckistan.

I was led to believe by our warranty clerk that TSB's only apply 3/60. We have had claims kicked back because of this. My understanding is that the warranty Nazi's are an outside company hired by Ford, likely to bring costs down. They are like an insurance company, deny, deny, deny, then if you argue long and hard enough, you will get paid. The people working there actually know nothing or at least very little about what we do at our end. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

As stated by the Great Jim.....

"Some days you're the dog.... and some days you're the fire hydrant."

Something else I am not gettin' here. TSBs traditionally pay less than individual labor ops so why would Ford not pay after 3/36?

All parts covered under Ford's 5/100 diesel powertrain warranty can and according to Ford, should be replaced using applicable TSBs.

Your warranty clerk is a moron, or maybe they do it differently in Canuckistan.

That's a very good point. You've just also reminded me of a situation where I was "checking" to see if a part was covered under ESP by running the basic part number through OASIS, and sure enough it wasn't. The basic part number I entered was one for a parts kit in a TSB. It was at that time that I was informed that I couldn't claim a TSB labour op through an ESP claim. Yet when all the basic part numbers for the individual parts in the kit were entered, it turned out that they WERE covered. The point I'm getting at, is that all of the individual parts ordered separately came out to be significantly more expensive than it would've, had it been ordered as a kit.

i don't get the issue here. We work on ton's of 6.0's in the 5/100 and we've never had an issue. Sometime's we use TSB labor opps and sometimes we don't. I have a 3 page list of what's covered on the diesel warranty, I go over it when im not sure the part is covered. Even if the causal part # is on that sheet, anything it "takes out" or effect's will also be covered.

SOUNDS LIKE THE WARRANTY CLERK'S A SCARDY CAT. NEVER HAD AN ISSUE HERE EITHER.ONLY THING I WAS TOLD IS IF YOU RUN OASIS AND A TSB "SPECIFICALLY" RECOGNISES THE CONCERN AND OR "PROCEDURE" YOU HAVE TO USE IT FOR THE CLAIM. GUESS THE PHRASE DAMED IF YOU DO, DAMED IF YOU DONT.