6.4 lacks power code P040D

Rate this topic

Has anyone experienced this code or condition? This vehicle has been into our shop on several occasions for lack of throttle response and goes to elevated idle. This is my first time with it. Initially I found codes for accelerator pedal circuits. The pedal has been replaced previously but it still sets these codes. I talked with hotline and have been sent pictures of two different chafing areas. I checked both and found no problem in that area. I talked them into letting me over-lay the wiring and gave vehicle back to the customer. For over a week the customer drove vehicle without any problem. Suddenly it was back with a concern of lack of power all the time. I checked and found a new code this time P040D in memmory. This is the first time this code has been set. It appears to be a different condition. Tomorrow I will go after this new code which is related to exhaust gas temp. sensor values. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance, Rick

I've run into seceral of these vehicles where EGRT-A will start to read erratically when you hold the engine RPM fairly high. If the sensor signal goes erratic for more than about 5 seconds, a P040D will be set, and the truck will go into limp-home mode.

KOEO with a cold engine will show 4.6 to 4.9V, and 140 degrees F. This is the lowest that sensor will read.

Easiest access is through the right side wheel well. Remove the tire and pull the 8 or 10mm head bolt and there you are. The connector is accessed through the top.

In the parts department, call it a "lamda sensor" so they will know what you are talking about.

Oh, and welcome to the club...

Thanks Greg, I appeciate your help on this. I'm certain I have more than one issue but I need to address this first and go from there. Rick

• 2 months later...

i had one today p040d and had a hell of a time finding which egt sesor the ppt was referring to. Is the egt in the up pipe egt-1 and the others egt-2 ect... or what? looks like 5 or so of them on parts listing.damn these 6.4's really piss me off

Kevin, there are 5 temperature sensors in the entire exhaust system.

The first two, EGR temperature sensors. One in the right turbo inlet pipe which is the ERG inlet temperature sensor and the other, EGR outlet temperature, is mounted at the top of the vertical EGR cooler just before the EGR valve.

The other three are EGT sensors. EGT-1 is mounted downstream of the turbocharger just before the DOC, EGT-2 is at the DPF inlet and EGT-3 is at the DPF outlet.

thanks,keith I'm slowly trying to learn more on the 6.4 but right now there a pain in the butt for me. I ended up replacing the egr temp inlet sensor which broke off in the pipe with very little effort at all. I guess the next one will get some pb blaster and soak. I really feel like a rookie on them anyway for now.

I have only had a couple of run-ins with these sensors so far but every one was either stuck in the pipe or I couldn't break the nut loose. I heated all of them red hot and they came apart/out. The next one I see I will probably just grab the torch before picking up a wrench.

I use Grampy Jim's preferred method. I soak them down with weasel piss and let them sit for about a minute before I even put a wrench on them. And what do ya know? They all come out with ease.