This area is getting low on Cat stuff

Rate this topic

HeuiTim

What you guys not working on these things anymore? We have had a steady stream of F650's in the shop in the last 2 weeks, thank god because the brooms were starting to wear out, but they still kind of suck if you have to anything on the back of the head, like the normally changed fp regulator. I think we are getting most of the work from area Ford dealers. Keith, you could answer this, unless the dealership is certified on the Cat engine your not allowed to do much under the valve cover. Thats how it was explained to me anyway. There are different levels of Cat cert?

Anyway ask some questions, it will make me feel smart, and look stupid.

Tim there are two or three different levels that I know of. I am at the lowest as a TEPS dealer which requires me to be certified so that we can sell trucks with CAT engines. Basically, we are regarded as a maintenance dealer with no parts stock and really no tools other than scan tool capability. You guessed it, I can do anything outside the engine as long as I don't open it up. We have concluded that our local Cat dealer does not want to do business with dealers. So basically, a CAT comes in with issues, I determine whether it is something I can take care of or defer it to another dealer... we found another Ford dealer that is both CAT and Allison certified to perform repairs. So needless to say I typically service them and ship 'em off.

By the way, there is less Cummins activity here... perhaps I need to open up to some Dodge Techs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I'm also a teps dealer and for the most part we don't dig to deep but I have done c-7 injectors, a rocker arm on a 3126, a bunch of HP oil pump check valves a while back. I guess it really depends on your teps manager for how far they will let you go, if he/she feels confident that a given tech can successfully repair a problem they may let you go deeper than the prescribed limits.

FUNNY YOU SAID THAT KEITH! I DONT WANT TO MENTION THE CAT DISTRIBUTORS NAME BUT THEIR A BUNCH OF ASS*&%$@. THEY CHARGE ALL CUSTOMERS 10% OVER LIST PRICE AND CRY LIKE BABIES. HAD AN ECM THAT WE BOUGHT FROM THEM AND THEY HAD TO PROGRAM IT FOR US. SO THEIR CSR CALLS THE CUSTOMER UP BY GETTING THEIR ENGINE INFO AND ADDRESS/PHONE NUMBER INFO AND TELLS MY CUSTOMER THAT IM REPLACING AN ECM WITH OUT CAUSE. FRIGGEN BALLSY! I THINK YOUR SEEING LESS CAT WORK BECAUSE EVEN THE CUSTOMERS ARE TIRED OF THEIR SUPPORT AND BS. HAVE SEEN CUMMINS SHOWING UP LIKE MAD. SINCE WERE CUMMINS CERTIFIED I SEND THEM ADVERTISEMSNTS.

If your guys support is that bad there, maybe you should call and talk to mother CAT. I am sure she would dissaprove. I know our dealership isnt like that. I know we loan out tooling and help our teps dealers when they need it. We dont have a lot of CAT powered fords running around in our area, but we help when we can.

well put it this way. You work for a professional distributor then.These guys here are huge and put $$$$$ in mother cats pocket. Why would they listen to me? Only thing they would do is call the distributor and piss off the local distributor more. Been proven before here. As a matter of fact i had to call peoria ill and complain that they wouldn't sell me a "customer" version of cat et. Peoria calls local distributor and well guess what a 350 dollar piece of software costs 1050.00 and no updates included. I was purchasing Cat parts through my local GMC/Volvo truck dealer .Well the threat to the dealer was you'll lose your teps priviliges for selling parts to a competing independent shop when they can come here and pay full price to us"cat distributor". F you Fo**Y Cat!

Just a question. how can i buy cat et from your distributor and have it registered? is that possible? or will they bang me over the head with that famous Cat territory bull crap

well enough of my crying. Thats why i believe cats on the way out. bad customer repour either in product being crap or warranty coverage issues.

F you Fo**Y Cat!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif

Lets just say I have heard some interesting things about them. Like when the Cat hotline guys hears where they are calling from it is usually followed by a loud sigh. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Originally Posted By: OHNO60
F you Fo**Y Cat!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif

Lets just say I have heard some interesting things about them. Like when the Cat hotline guys hears where they are calling from it is usually followed by a loud sigh. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

The old "sigh" followed by an exhale of breath after telling an engineer your concern..."that's impossible, lemme put you on hold." then he goes to his happy place, e.g. a micheal bolton CD, then comes back and say's "well their no known conern's on this, basically i've never heard of anyhting like that, let us know what you find."

I am not doubting that the CAT and Ford Hotlines share many likenesses and interesting stories like-wise...

I can say that my only experience with a CAT engineer was a positive one. If you recall those F750's I had mysterious check engine light concerns with the CAT guy spent the most time with me and honestly put an effort into assisting us with finding the cause. Yes, this was only one experience but I am still impressed, if nothing else grateful.

The people at Allison Transmission can suck my ass. They suck. They did not even want to talk to us and couldn't care less about helping us. Even at the management/corporate level they were worthless. Regardless of the fact that we are not an authorized Allison service facility I would think they would be interested in helping the oddball request for information. Allison sucks.

I will say that this was the one time I needed my FSE and he was right there with me, my manager and the boys in Dearborn.

Oh, by the way, Allison Sucks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Well guys I am really sorry to hear that your cat support is so terrible. I apolagize. Wish there was something I could do about it. There is nothing worse than having a product that you are supposed to sell and support. Yet no one will give you the information or tooling to do so.

DOWN WITH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif CAT AND ALLISON! I USUALLY SEND THEM TO ATLANTIC DETROIT DIESEL IN PISCATAWAY. THAT ALONE IS LIKE A FRIGGEN SHARP STICK IN THE EYE. TOTAL LACK OF SUPPORT OUT OF THEIR ORGANIZATION. THEY WONT ADMIT IT THOUGH.

Well i have my first experience with a CAT motor today. Oil change in a 05 F-650 with a C7. We are not certified to work on these bad boys, but we are working to get certified on the maintainence part. I learned it takes a whole box of oil diaper's and a gallon of degreaser to clean up the 15qts of oil that spilled after the drain plug fell into the funnel of your used oil container, blocking it, and unreachable. Luckily the new concrete in the parking lot soaked some of it up. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Well i have my first experience with a CAT motor today. Oil change in a 05 F-650 with a C7.

Don't worry you experienced the best part, all down hill from here.
Originally Posted By: Tony302600
We are not certified to work on these bad boys, but we are working to get certified on the maintainence part.
Heres a tip /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif
Originally Posted By: Tony302600
I learned it takes a whole box of oil diaper's and a gallon of degreaser to clean up the 15qts of oil that spilled after the drain plug fell into the funnel of your used oil container, blocking it, and unreachable. Luckily the new concrete in the parking lot soaked some of it up.
I love PigMat

But seriously if you get stuck or whatever let me know, there are quite a few Cat guys learking around here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif