08-9-9 High pressure oil system diag

Rate this topic

DieselD

updated the STC procedure with new parts(which we all already knew about right!? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif) has a confusing op list sorta like the coolant vent tsb.

this might even cover the standtubes and d-ring o ring problems.

look to be about a wash between the old tsb and the new with only loosing less than an 1.0hr for an stc repair compared to the old.

All those people do is bitch and moan on that message board.

I think the new tsb pretty much covers all the bases and pays pretty fair.

Are you kidding me? I actually LOVE it when I get an '05 and up 6.0L coming in on the hook for a no-start. Those are actually gravy for me now. OH MY GOD, what am I saying? Did I just say I acually LOVE working on a 6.0L? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Something must be wrong with me!!! Now watch some other dickhead post on the message board that ha can bang these repairs off in the half the time and good old Ford god cut the times on us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

I've seen this happen quite a few times... not only reading the OASIS history, but worse, one of my co-workers does/did it all the time. Have a no-start hot, go straight to the STC fitting, replace it, charge the 10.6... then when it doesn't start, call the shop foreman over, get an additional line added, replace the d-rings and get paid to remove the valve covers a second time. I've never done it, but I was shocked to see how often it actually does happen. That is why I think we have the big list of operations now.

Yeah it does suck that the SCT fitting times got cut. But adding labor ops for removing valve covers to find other leaks is a good idea. I always had to fight with our warrenty clerk and service manager when i found more leaks under the valve covers. This is a better system then the old TSB, but a flow chart would make it even easier.

If you compare the TSB's you will see that 6-17-06 paid you to work your way in to the HPOP, whereas 8-09-09 pays to work your way out. If you followed 6-17-06 properly you would find the leaks under the valve covers first, since the covers would be off to do the stand-off block tests. Ford realized most techs just jumped to the HPOP first, playing the odds, and grabbed the extra cash. TSB 8-09-09 does not pay less, it just pays according to how the repair was being attacked in the field. The change was simply a matter of time in coming.

I did this TSB for the first time yesterday... I replaced the STC and had a d-ring leak, which actually ended up paying more than 06-17-06 did on an Econoline. But, I didn't really care too much for the plastic tools included with the kit to align the fitting. The fitting was twisting the plastic while I was tightening the jam-nut, causing it to not line up perfectly. I was able to make it work, but I think I'm going to try and get my hands on the old metal STC brace and rig up something a little more sturdy.

I just got finished doing one yesterday on an F-550 that ended up needing a branch tube as well, due to being pushed so far back, causing damage to the rear cover. Like Alex, mine also needed the D-ring on the left side bank replaced as well. I too, didn't bother with the plastic "alignment tools". Once installed, it seems impossible to access the jam nut with any tool though. Just curious, 080909E and F seems a little confusing. I hope there's no overlap.

I dug up an old metal brace, and it works much better for lining up the fitting without twisting.

Thanks Alex, I just happen to have one laying on the bench. Guess I'll keep it around now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Just curious, would it be of any benefit to install the reinforcement brace with the new fitting, or would it just seem silly and redundant?

My frosted side says "if some is good and more is better - too much oughta be just about enough".... My plain side would start to worry about "sympathetic resonance"... But THAT could go either way.

When in doubt - make sure you can blame any problems on the engineers.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first one piece fitting yesterday. Went just as easy as the old style but without fiddling around with gear to bracket clearance issues. I have to say the instructions weren't much help. I turned the fitting in 5 turns and it didn't line up. I actually turned it all the way in til the o-ring and plate bottomed out then back out 1 turn and it lined up perfectly. I had to use the plastic stuff because I don't have anything else and I was in a hurry. To offset twisting I stuck a phillips screwdriver in one hole and it used it like a back up wrench while torqueing the fitting.

Now I claimed op A and B for the work I did, because that's all I did. This was good for 5.7 hrs, which is a 3 hour job all day if you go straight for the fitting without diag.

With that said and the verify 60 issue out there how many of us are going to hit as many of these ops that are available and are we going to actually do what the ops say?

To be honest and the mood I am in at the moment I would have claimed more but we didn't have any parts to put under the valve covers. Plus it was 4:30 when I got the job and I was in a hurry to get it done and go home, because I have today off.

The old fitting was destroyed as most would guess and the truck is fixed and back on the road.