Diesel Fuel Flow Tester

Rate this topic

June 30, 2008

To: Ford Dealer Principals and Service Department Personnel

Subject: New 6.0L Diesel Fuel Flow Tester Tool Delivery and Diagnostics

DIESEL FUEL FLOW TESTER TOOL DELIVERY

A new 6.0L Diesel Fuel Flow Tester tool will be shipped to all Ford Dealerships. This new tool is to be used in conjunction with the service procedures located in the 6.0L Diesel Section of the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual.

Shipping of Essential Special Service Tool (ESST) Kit TKIT-2008DT-F is expected to be completed on July 27th. TKIT-2008DT-F contains: Tool Number 310-193, a 6.0L Diesel Fuel Flow Tester and a red plastic storage case. Additional quantities or replacements can be ordered by calling 1-800-ROTUNDA (768-8632) and choosing Option #5 when prompted.

NEW 6.0L DIESEL FUEL FLOW DIAGNOSTIC ROUTINE

Beginning July 1st, updated 6.0L diesel fuel flow diagnostics can be found in the online PC/ED fuel pressure subroutines in both the Hard Start/No Start and Performance procedures. The new diagnostics along with the new 6.0L diesel fuel flow tester, will allow the technician to efficiently diagnose the entire low pressure fuel system without performing a road test.

REQUIRED ACTIONS

Please ensure that:

The Dealer Service Manager is aware that the kit will arrive between June 27th and July 27th.

The new 6.0L Diesel Fuel Flow Tester Tool (TKIT-2008DT-F) and the new diagnostic routines are used by your certified diesel technicians whenever diagnosing 6.0L low fuel pressure and flow issues.

The Dealer Service Manager and Warranty Administrator review the attached Fuel System Diagnostic Labor Operations Guide.

Labor operations 6005E7A-F and 6005F18A-F are used when claiming these repairs.

QUESTIONS

Questions regarding Rotunda Tools and Equipment should be directed to 1-800-ROTUNDA (768-8632) and choosing Option #5.

Questions regarding this communication should be directed to Bill Caines, bcaines@ford.com at (313)-845-8886.

Oh boy! I can't wait!

Hey, weren't we told that we couldn't accurately test fuel pressure w/o roadtesting?

You do know this is the result of the bean counters not believing that we actually do roadtests and actually test fuel pressure, right?

All we do is abuse the system and claim the time. DOH!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ya think the guys at Ford and possibly Navistar have been payin' this site some visits?

Ha! To think we may have been out witting the system! Jokes on us boys.

Say goodbye to the 2.5 hr fuel pressure test on Econolines.

Wow my ass hurts!

I doubt Ford is watching US at THIS SITE very closely and on top of that, if they WERE they would have designed the banjo bolt end of the tester hose like the ones we have made up from our own ingenuity. You have to run the hose down and under the right side exhaust pipe. What a jack-ass set up.

One of my guys cant even perform a regular fuel test properly, what makes Ford think guys are going to perform this unless they have already failed to diagnose a problem? Oh here I go again fellas. Negativity get us nowhere. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

One of my guys cant even perform a regular fuel test properly,

ONE can't do a test properly? Having a tech do it correctly is unusual I think. Most are too lazy, too stupid, or both. We all know you have to have a long FP hose to check it correctly, and in my travels I rarely see one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I recently watched a shop owner remove a fuel line, stuff a gauge into the line, and turn on the key to test fuel pressure, effectively checking KOEO deadhead. I told him that is not the proper test for FP and he just stared, not wanting the truth. OMG. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
Oh here I go again fellas. Negativity get us nowhere. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

-1 cookie. Bad boy, NO COOKIE! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/fouet3.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Enough bitching already. Does anyone have any info on this new tool? I'm going to assume we are going to test the max volume of fuel the system can deliver through both the filters?

Check the Hard start/no start and performance diagnosis charts in the PCED. The test has been added to the procedures. It looks like we are verifying fuel pressure right at the fuel rail because that is where it is ultimately most critical. The tester simulates the added fuel demand of a WOT acceleration. This can only be achieved by tapping directly into the fuel rail. Here is how the test notes explain it:

The Flow Tester, Diesel Fuel 310-193 or equivalent provides a pressure reading while simulating maximum fuel consumption at wide open throttle (WOT) and full load on the fuel system. The Flow Tester, Diesel Fuel 310-193 or equivalent uses a 1.193 mm (0.047 in) calibrated orifice integrated in the tool assembly to simulate the fuel consumption. For E-Series vehicles, measure the fuel system pressure at the right hand cylinder head fuel passage plug on the back of the right hand cylinder head. For F-Super Duty vehicles, measure the fuel system pressure at the secondary fuel filter housing test port. The fuel pressure value at the secondary fuel filter housing test port is higher than the fuel pressure value at the back of the cylinder head due to a pressure drop through the fuel rails, fuel injectors and other fuel system components.

It also looks like we are to use this flow tester to test HFCM pressure and flow and the secondary filter as well. The clear hose will also allow you to easily check for aeration.

Question here, and maybe I'm thinking out loud, but how is this system going to help diag, lets say, a delaminating tank that has material getting sucked into the sock under load with the fuel sloshing in the tank while driving.

You know good fuel pressure at KOEO, idle and light throttle cruise, yet drops at sustained 3/4 to WOT events.

if I understand the diag process correctly, if fuel pressure is good at KOEO you do not proceed with further fuel system diag.

"Insert the heavy duty black end of the clear yellow hose into the fuel tank filler pipe to drain the fuel into the fuel tank. Make sure the fuel return hose is not pinched or restricted. Do not substitute any other fuel return hose and do not change the hose length of 6.7 m (22 ft) clear yellow hose with 0.91 m (3 ft) heavy duty black hose end or the internal diameter (ID) of 6.35 mm (0.25 in). The heavy duty black end on the hose is used to reduce pinching between the fuel filler door and the vehicle body.

Start the engine and let it idle.

Open the valve on the Flow Tester, Diesel Fuel 310-193 or equivalent.

Run the engine until fuel flows free from cloudiness, gelling (cold weather) or aeration. If the air bubbles can not be purged, check for kinks or leaks.

Record the indicated fuel pressure while the valve is open and fuel is flowing back to the fuel tank.

If the fuel pressure meets the specification, no concern is present at this time.

If the fuel pressure is below the specification, carry out the Fuel Conditioning Module Pressure test in this section.

If the fuel pressure is above the specification, check the fuel return lines for a restriction. If no restriction is present, install a new fuel pressure regulator valve."

I have plenty of these as I am sure has everyone else, or at least those that actually performed fuel pressure tests.

I don't know, whatever /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

• 4 weeks later...