Broadcast message 1203

Rate this topic

1203 - SOME 1997 THROUGH 2003 MY 7.3L VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A PHANTOM P0284, P0281, P0278, P0275, P0272, P0269, P0266, AND/OR P0263 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

SOME 1997 THROUGH 2003 MY 7.3L VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT PHANTOM P0284, P0281, P0278, P0275, P0272, P0269, P0266, AND/OR P0263 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) WITHOUT DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS IN CYLINDER CONTRIBUTION TEST (CCT) ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A NEW STYLE (GRAY) CMP SENSOR. THE NEW STYLE SENSOR WOULD HAVE BEEN INSTALLED UNDER SAFETY RECALL 07S57. ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON A RESOLUTION TO ELIMINATE THE PHANTOM CODES.

Perhaps... one day in the far and distant future, they might finally succeed at doing something right... I have, however, decided not to hold my breath while we wait...

I can't really see a recall since there doesn't appear to be any mention of running problems... However - some guys over at the monkeyhouse have talked about funky stuff with the new sensor.

Can't explain it but had a 97 f250 yesterday that had multiple misfires in it with no codes.All pids show no problems and I checked all sensor connections including cps.Was getting ready to dig deeper on this truck and saw guys on another forum complaining of misfire after gray sensor replacement so I asked owner when he had his replaced under recall and he said he just had it replaced while at a job site out of town so I decided just for kicks to put another gray sensor in it and oddly enough it fixed it and it ran flawlessly.Put other gray sensor back in and miss returned.Sensor had no signs of defect but I can say that a new gray sensor did fix problem.Glad I tried it before digging deeper.Maybe there is a problem with some of these sensors.

John the fact that you report actual misfires with NO codes is opposite of what Ford is reporting is amusing. Can we claim SPW on a part installed as per a recall? There would HAVE to be some diagnostics involved. Who wouldn't be angry after spending an hour or two chasing a performance issue only to find out Ford will only pay a few tenths? Cant charge the customer now can you? No. Even though the job starts out as customer pay he will turn around and tell you that Ford just installed that sensor for a recall and HE AIN'T PAYIN!

I've had TWO so far, that have had issues after the CMP replacement. One caused a no-start right away. The other was on a cubevan, where the guy brought the truck back screaming bloody murder that his truck wouldn't accelerate past 40 km/h (about 25 mph for you guys down south). Both times replacing with the original sensor fixed the problems.