08S05

Rate this topic

mchan68

Is there anyone that has been able to even come close to completing this recall in the time it pays? Even a relatively skinny guy like myself has a hard time accessing the hose to properly secure it to the tube, let alone the the portly sized ones out there. This and doing it without sustaining second degree burns on your arms because the advisors are too stupid to NOT book these in as waiters!

There is a topic over on the boards about this with 100 replies and they are 50/50 on it, some winning some losing. I have done them from the top and the bottom and beat time on both ends. The best way is from the bottom, following the instructions but I take the bell housing bolt out that retains the fuel line bracket and you can get a fat hand in no problem after that. Doing it that way it can be done in less than 15 minutes.

I have probably done 8-10 of these and I can beat the time. I leave the driveshaft in place and am able to sneak my arm up there. I know the FSA says not to use any lube but everyone here including myself puts some lube on the hose.

I have been tempted to try doing it from the top. Maybe next time.

They have to be cooled off or I refuse to do them. The last one I did, I didn't rush, had to pee after starting, had only the recall to do and still did it in .8. I had another one that I also did an oil change on and was able to save time by only having it up on hoist once and actually did it in .4. I am not bragging, just showing realistic times. I only use water as a lube, but have a few tricks I use to save a little time. I cut the long end clamp retainer shorter to avoid interference, I cut the o2 sensor wire pigtail retainer pushpin with side cutters and use a wire tie to re-attach it, as the pushpin seems to take a lot of effort to detach. I cut the hose lengthwise at the long end with a utility knife to make it come off quickly and easily. I carefully use my longest prybar to detach the short end hose. I feel for you guys with larger than average arms/hands or who have to work on a scorching hot vehicle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Bruno... I finally did one of these yesterday (Saturday)... I don't know what all the whimpering is about....

Yes, dammit, the truck was up to temp.... My hands are not the size of hams but neither are they small and, at their age, they no longer bend quite the same as they did many years ago....

MAC has a push pin tool about 18 or so inches long... red handle.... do not leave home without this tool...

For a lube, try glass cleaner... clings to the rubber better, evaporates 100%. I have no idea how long mine took - I got called away a half dozen times.... I do remember thinking "HoHum... what is the fuss about?".

It would have been nicer if they had left the time alone....