'07 F-250 P2291

Rate this topic

I just fixed my first No-start 20psi crank, bad IPR (screen pushed back and had hole in it ) Didnt change the pump. Popped a new IPR in, and fixed it.

(and yes...cranking the engine after any type of HP oil component replacement is key. I found that out after changing a oil rail, when realizing that the oil rail seals to the injectors after 150psi of oil pressure )

Well guys, I finally got this thing all buttoned up today and drove it home with IDS hooked up, paying particular attention to my ECT/EOT PIDs. Even under HARD acceleration, neither went higher than 206*F, so I guess it's fixed.

Hallelujah !!!

Here is what was found on the NEW screen that I replaced with the cooler

Posted Image

...and here are two shots of what the IPR valve looked like after I replaced the cooler, the first time around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, can you just imagine what would happen if this were a RETAIL oil cooler replacement, and this happened? Who would be paying for the labour and subsequent parts failure?

Nice pics Mike! The first pic of the reservoir screen looks a lot like the dirt that collects on top of these engines and packs in around the cooler, HPOP cover and the intake manifold. I am not necessarily suggesting that you introduced this grit into the engine but... One suggestion to any tech removing stuff from these engines is to take shop air and get right in along the edges of the cooler, along the head/block seam, manifold and HPOP cover. Clean the same areas with Brakleen and hit it again with compressed air. Since you have to remove the intake first, a piece of masking or duct tape covers the intake ports on the heads nicely to prevent blowing crap from the valley into the engine.

Just something that came to mind. Remember to wear safety glasses! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Mike, just to let you know, if this were a retail repair like the one I have right now, a number of things happen. First the advisor looks at you dumbfounded and tries to tell you you're paying for it. Then, after some kind words between the two of you, he'll walk up to you and hand you a cell phone with a customer on the other end, becuase this is clearly your fault. Then you have to try to explain to a customer that although the truck runs well that your ipr value is about 29% instead of the 22% it should be. Customer says ok so what's the problem? You respond with something like "okay it runs right now, but it will come back on the hook, gaurenteed." That advisor then grabs his phone and take the price quote you gave him, trying to do him a favor and billing the part at employee cost with a warranty labor time, and tries to tell you he is going to deflag a few hours to pay for the ipr which you're putting in for free. Man, I am so friggin glad I took that damn diesel course. Certification pays, yeah you pay out the ass.

I found that out after changing a oil rail, when realizing that the oil rail seals to the injectors after 150psi of oil pressure )

That makes sense to me now after replacing an injector for this 2 weeks ago.

Just one of those things I guess. In some way I admittedly dropped the ball by not just putting one on the original estimate as a "when we're done" type of thing. It's upsetting but i guess every dealer has their quirks. At least thats what I tell myself.

Mike, just to let you know, if this were a retail repair like the one I have right now, a number of things happen. First the advisor looks at you dumbfounded and tries to tell you you're paying for it. Then, after some kind words between the two of you, he'll walk up to you and hand you a cell phone with a customer on the other end, becuase this is clearly your fault. Then you have to try to explain to a customer that although the truck runs well that your ipr value is about 29% instead of the 22% it should be. Customer says ok so what's the problem? You respond with something like "okay it runs right now, but it will come back on the hook, gaurenteed." That advisor then grabs his phone and take the price quote you gave him, trying to do him a favor and billing the part at employee cost with a warranty labor time, and tries to tell you he is going to deflag a few hours to pay for the ipr which you're putting in for free. Man, I am so friggin glad I took that damn diesel course. Certification pays, yeah you pay out the ass.

You guys get de-booked and/or have to pay for mess-ups? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

Yeaah, unfortunatly that pretty much the story. I once had to do head gaskets in cab on a F-550 and broke that little nipple off the radiator trying to pull out the left cylinder head. Well if you take my rate times flag time on truck I worked that day and a half or so for just about nothing. BTW did you all know that my cost on a radiator is about 350. Better still I put in the new one and it had a leaking upper tank. Service part warranty a new one but oh, wait, who pays the time? There's no repair order for the original one installed. Well here's another freebie. I love it.

I'd be looking for a different employer at that point.

FYI, you can actually fix those broken radiator nipples by grinding it flush with the radiator tank, drill it out with a 21/64 bit, and tap the hole with a pipe thread tap. Then just get a $2 threaded brass pipe about 1.5'' long from the plumbing dept at your local hardware store, and thread it in with some thread sealer. The hose will slide over the brass pipe and clamp on just like it used to with the plastic nipple, you'll never even notice it. The brass nipple is actually more durable than the plastic one that was there to begin with, so it's not hackery...it's a "hardware enhancement update."

Posted Image

Thats really good to know. I broke one of those too a few months ago while I was leaning over the radiator relacing an EGR cooler. I'm really careful and I do a good job, but lets face it. Shit happens. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Jared, If I were you, I would find another place to work. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Jeff... not to be cantankerous or what-have-you but, I'm sorry - that kind of shit just ain't going to fly in our shop. Brass threaded into plastic just isn't something a customer deserves... an innocent customer that wound up with a pooched radiator because of an error on our part....

We don't bitch fix this stuff - we simply replace it. Good customers are too hard to find. If we repair this right, we will always have the opportunity to make the losses back.

We do not charge the tech for the broken part.... we would prefer to fix the thing properly and not have him trying to hide shit from either us or the customer.... If the tech hides the breakage and it returns to haunt, we will still pay for the part but now he will put it in for free....

This is the kind of stuff that makes us look bad in the eyes of the public....

Here is an idea for you...what if the nipples on the radiators were just falling off all by themselves and Ford not wanting to spend money came out with the exact same procedure Jeff has, would you still feel the same way?

Think about if before you answer, because it has happened before. Crown Vic convertor repairs, 7.3l block stitching, ect.

Here's a real good idea... if an engineer working for Ford signs off an THAT repair... I'll be all over it. I might not like it.... but I have a scapegoat.

However... if I do something I shouldn't and I break a nipple off a rad.... Now - it's your turn to answer carefully....

If you take anything - and I mean anything (I don't care what) you own that cost you over $40G to a shop for repairs.... and the guy fixing it breaks something... are YOU going to be happy with some bitch fix? Or are you going to insist on it being returned to as close to original condition as possible....

WTF is this? "Jeez, sorry guy - next time you come in I'll try not to fuck your truck up"?

Anybody did that to me and I would have people staying away in herds...

Fuck... we need a "give your fucking head a shake" smiley.

I'm sorry Keith... this is something I feel too strongly about. Punt me if you need... but keep this reply.

Don’t worry Jim, Brad and I still love you.

I would point out just for the sake of “messin with Saskwatch,” That a whole lot of engineers signed off on the 6.0 in 2003 – and since then we have not only been made the scapegoats for their mistakes, but we have been fed a steady diet of Ford authorized “bitch fixes,” zip ties, rolls of cloth tape, and crimp wiring connectors since day 1.

Your point about customer perception is well taken though my friend. So I guess a good rule of thumb that applies to everything is this: If you wouldn't do something to your own truck - don't do it to a customers truck. If we live by this philosophy we'll all do just fine /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Quote:
I'm sorry Keith... this is something I feel too strongly about. Punt me if you need... but keep this reply

I'm not sure why you would put this statement in your post. There is nothing in what you have said that needs to be censored or what not. Input like yours is invaluable as is anyone elses here.

Notice in my post I did not mention anything about fixing a customers truck other than factory spec due to technician induced failure.

If I step into my way back machine. I remember fixing 7.3l under valve cover harnesses with a zip-tie long before the fix of a peice of plastic wedge was approved for repair. the zip tie was a much better repair, because there was no chance of dropping it in the engine, which the engineers counted on because they sent 3 wedges with instructions on tearing the thing apart if you dropped one.

I do apologize for straying so far away from the original topic. But I haven't seen the blood flowing around here in a while. Nice to know there is still a pulse.

Here's a real good idea... if an engineer working for Ford signs off an THAT repair... I'll be all over it. I might not like it.... but I have a scapegoat.

However... if I do something I shouldn't and I break a nipple off a rad.... Now - it's your turn to answer carefully....

If you take anything - and I mean anything (I don't care what) you own that cost you over $40G to a shop for repairs.... and the guy fixing it breaks something... are YOU going to be happy with some bitch fix? Or are you going to insist on it being returned to as close to original condition as possible....

WTF is this? "Jeez, sorry guy - next time you come in I'll try not to fuck your truck up"?

Anybody did that to me and I would have people staying away in herds...

Fuck... we need a "give your fucking head a shake" smiley.

I'm sorry Keith... this is something I feel too strongly about. Punt me if you need... but keep this reply.

We have a head shaking smiley - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

And no. I wont boot you. You are entitled to your opinion and I like the fact that you don't hesitate to express it. Aside from that you fellers are debating this one quite nicely. It has been a while since we have debated anything around here!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

Jim, it will probably tick you off, and I hope you don't think less of me, but, I have made the very same repair in the past. In fact, I have one of the 1/4 by 3/8 barbed fittings sitting right here in front of me on my desk. Not all of the radiators I have personally broken have been repairable. If I cant make a solid repair I wont. When I do, it is strong (no less weaker than the molded piece of crap that broke off) reliable (I don't know of any that have failed) and the brass fitting looks like it belongs there - looks stock if you didn't know otherwise. (I do good work you know) If I were a customer and this was my radiator, I probably would be okay with this repair provided it was well executed and I was notified about the problem and given the oportunity to choose the repair or a new radiator. I do recall there having been at least two incidents where a radiator was a weekend away and I recall both guys being "kool" with the repair despite the fact the we broke it in the first place. I am sure there are those who would get bent over it.

(puts on his flame retardant suit and clicks submit) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cover.gif

...because they sent 3 wedges with instructions on tearing the thing apart if you dropped one.

LMFAO! You are SO right with this it's not even funny!

I bet the first kit that came out, only had two, and they had a shit-whack of complaints about it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: flmmaz
...because they sent 3 wedges with instructions on tearing the thing apart if you dropped one.

LMFAO! You are SO right with this it's not even funny!

I bet the first kit that came out, only had two, and they had a shit-whack of complaints about it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I believe that's why they want you to remove the UVC harness from the vehicle before installing the wedge... I don't know about you guys, but I sure do (and by "do", I mean "don't") /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif