Wimping out.

Rate this topic

Aaron

So a number of you fellows know that I moved to Hay River, NWT to work at Kingland Ford, Diavik Diamond mine, etc. etc.

I have decided after a lot of thought to come back to my home turf, in Ontario.

So I set up the GPS for SL FORD SALES as my FIRST STOP.

Anyone that wants to meet up for a beer or a coffee or offer me a driveway to sleep in, PM me your info.

I am leaving the Northwest Territories tomorrow.

Don't feel bad. I've been der dun dat and made many mistakes and not so great decisions in my life. But I survived them all. And you just keep on learning, But at least you had the gonads to go and try it out. How many folks can say that? Some folks are so afraid of change that they live in a little bubble all their lives and never know anything different and will be absolutely miserable and disappointed with everything around them their whole lives. Like I've said before, You will never know unless you try. Good luck to ya. and may the wind push you the rest of the way home cause God knows how much them big U-hauls suck for fuel. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Sheeit.... and you didn't even wait for "black fly" season....

Did I forget to mention that this is Alberta... where men are men and sheep are nervous?

No need for a PM.... I have no secrets.... 1-780-849-4288 is the landline. Depending on your ETA, you may have to meet Dwayne Gorniak.

Oh yes, boys and girls.... that knock on his head screwed him up so bad he moved to Slave Lake....

FWIW... I don't work this weekend.... figure your liver is up to it?

Aaron... you do know that Shlep is going to cause nothing ut grief?????

Got 'er saved in the phone, Jim.

It shows 857KM from Hay River to Slave Lake, so SL will likely be my night-stop for day 1.

That your home line?

I'll talk to you tomorrow. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

U-hauls suck for fuel. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OH NO, I got something MUCH more fuel efficient. An 08 F350 with a 6.4 **turn sarcasm off**

Aaron... you do know that Shlep is going to cause nothing ut grief?????

LMAO .....the thought DID cross my mind but he knows that his job is waiting for him when he gets back with no strings attached /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

If your heading far enough south, I'm an hour north of Calgary now, the missus and I moved. The town is called Olds, it's two minutes west of the main highway. Gimme a buzz if you want, (403)791-6264 or my cell (403)598-1371.

Aaron, that be the home line... My cell is 780-849-0850....

Anything I can do to ease the pain.... You have to know that if you don't stop by this time, you will be hunted down for the scurvy dog you are....

I might roll into town a little later than I want to, I am aspiring to be the hell out of Hay River by noon or so, so that would bring me into SL around 9 or so, roughly.

I will give you a call when I get close.

Well, Aaron, I admire that you gave it a try. I am sure that when a person is accustomed to a "normal" climate a move to one that is so different as NWT could be a real shock. I couldn't do it.

I've found my own "perfect" climate, where is is green year round, rarely hotter than 90*F or colder than 25*F. Snow might accumulate to about 6 or 8 inches and doesn't last for more than a couple days. Some find the gray, overcast skies depressing but I am usually most comfortable in sweatshirts.

It sounded like the dealership was a good place to work, too bad the whole package didn't work out. At least you gave it a shot! Good luck on your trip back.

Better that you tried and it didn't work out, than not trying and forever wondering "what if". At least you don't have to change your location back on your postings, as you left it as Windsor. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Sorry it didn't work out, Aaron. If it makes any difference, a friend of mine is the shop foreman at a dealer to remain nameless in the interior of B.C.... he knows of about a dozen guys that have taken a shot at the NWT thing, and most don't last 2 weeks. Don't feel too bad about it... if Ajax were on your way home, I'd invite you for a liver destoying experience... but it's about 4 hours out of your way... the wrong way...

Better that you tried and it didn't work out, than not trying and forever wondering "what if".

Agreed. I also applaud your "giving it a shot". It takes balls to make a move like that, and most people don't have them.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I to applaud the valiant effort you made. After I spoke with you the other day I realized how tough it really is up there in Jim's neighborhood. I'm glad your coming back I think Shlep has been lost without you. You two make a pretty good team. Sucks that your going to drive thru Canada to get back, it would have been nice if you could have come thru on the U.S. side, like you said it's about 800KM further a drive. Not to mention we could have gotten together and swilled a few beers, Labatt of course. Talk to you soon and have a safe drive back.

Kudos for your effort and for trying out the change. I was extremely close to making the jump to the North earlier this year. The only thing that stopped me was not seeing my 15 month old son for 2 weeks at a time. Why did you decide to come back, if you don't mind me asking ?

If you are ever down Kingston way, let me know, I am always up for a cold one or four, especially after working the 4- 12 shift. Have a safe trip !

Aaron finally darkened my doorstep along about midnight on Friday. We rustled him up a quick sandwich and stuck a drink in his hand.

The sandwich... a friend had given us some elk minute steaks... these things were so fresh they still had shit on their hooves (well, nearly). Cooked just right, they were tender and juicy - We slam dunked the last two into a bun - Aarons attention wandered for a split second and his dog became the proud owner of his sandwich... Luckily we had some store bought cold cuts at the ready.

He got back on the road this afternnon (Saturday) after showing him a few of the sights around town... looked like all he really wanted to do was split for Ontariario.. He's got some horrors stories about life in the mines and I'm sure he'll regale us with some of them in the future...

He didn't get to meet Dwayne (went home for the weekend) but he knows where I keep my jug and the glasses and he'll always be welcome in my house...

Surprisingly, his puppy got along well with all our critters - and that made the visit even better.

Have a safe trip, Aaron... hope to see you again, soon.

at least you had a try at the great white north,cross country is a big move,and to the nwt is even a bigger move,drastic season changes,to bad you didn't show up in mid summer may have been more pleasant,it was nice to meet you and good luck in the future.

the mines definently were not the place for me,did my 1 year contract and got out of there,this was back in 2001,back in the day of the end of 7.3 and the begining of the wonderful 6.0,and now i am sure it is mostly toyota underground truck work now,some people love the mine life and oportunity to travel on there 2 weeks out,but do see a strong turn around of miners in contractor field of mine life.

have you been to any ford courses lately?i need the manual trans front wheel drive course,hard to get into in edmonton

I have a full plaque (Daryl doesn't have to deal with me - lucky man....) so my next course will be a new diesel course - wheneer that may happen.

For your needs, all I can suggest is to start pestering on InFord for guys in your boat to request the course... Maybe e-mail Daryl to see how many requests he has...