LCF long crank and miss hot or cold.

Rate this topic

I have LCF with about 32000kms that has engine miss,long cranking issue and does not matter engine temp.Stand tube recall,software update and oil change had been performed.Went by the hard start on start guide and all tested ok.ICP was as desired,performed injector disable test but all inj on right bank felt very powerful while left felt slight change.It would not let me perform auto disable.pulled left valve cover off and found the plug on oil manifold that blocks ICP sensor leaking.performed air test with IPR energized and NO leaks detected.replaced o-ring but unit still miss but slightly better.Talk to hotline and they recommend I replace the 3 left injectors and if still missing,replace the other 3.Do you think I`m in the right track??

Possibly. You found a deteriorated o-ring on the left block off tube. Did you remove the oil rail and inspect ALL of the o-rings including the two piece stand pipe and plugs? For some reason LCF's have an appetite for o-rings and it is common that when you find one o-ring leaking there are others. This goes for both banks, not just the one where a bad o-ring was found. I have had an LCF or two towed in because only one side was inspected.

I think you're on the right track. I'd watch ICPV both KOEO and cranking to verify that your hard start isn't an ICP issue. I don't trust ICP PSI because it's calculated and not real, and I've had the ECM lie to me before. IIRC, you have to pull up Continuousmonitor.ssn to view ICPV. It should be .17-.24 KOEO and should build 1.5v pretty quickly cranking. Engine oil pressure reads a false PSI in MD on an LCF, so if you want real pressure, you'll have to install a gauge in the EOP sensor hole. If there's any issues with slow building ICPV, you'll need to check base oil pressure.

Buzz test sounds good, right? No codes? Did this one get the fuel pressure sensor update?

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I performed NETS and after receiving, it said there no new strategy.The update was performed 4,000kms back and also the stand tube recall was performed then.I will perform the tests you have recommended.The injectors buzz for about 30 seconds after shutdown. when KOEO and KOER tests are performed,there are no codes detected.Thanx for help and will keep you posted.

I did not remove the rail because the stant tube recall was performed about 4000kms ago and also when I performed the air leak test, it did not leak at all but will pull other cover off and inspect both rails.Thanx for swift response.

The injectors buzz for about 30 seconds after shutdown.

Hmmm, this should be an old strategy and be updated already. How about when you do the KOEO Injector (buzz) test? No codes, and all 6 sound the same? Just making sure the circuit is good to the injector(s).

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The update was performed 4,000kms back and also the stand tube recall was performed then.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif Is this "stand pipe recall" a Canadian thing? I'm not familiar with it.

As Keith and Bruce stated these LC0F's have most of the same issues as a 6.0L and a few of there own like they love to eat o-rings on the HP oil rail.

Originally Posted By: Bruce Amacker
this should be an old strategy and be updated already.

I was under the impression that the current FICM flashes still have the post buzz AND the inductive heating strategy? I haven't flashed one in 5 or 6 months though.

We did get both at one time, but I haven't reflashed one in a while to see if it still happens.

Testing for misfires is a total pain in the ass with MD truck. First of all, the auto-disable test will only run with a cold engine... but I do find most misfires that way with good success. Doing the manual test sucks. I had one with a misfire that I couldn't narrow down, hotline told me to make my best possible "guess" at what bank the misfire was on, and then replace all 3 injectors on that side. If the misfire was still there, to swap the 3 injectors previously removed with the 3 on the other bank. If the misfire was still there, then to replace the other three... yada, yada, yada...

Originally Posted By: Kimani

The update was performed 4,000kms back and also the stand tube recall was performed then.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif Is this "stand pipe recall" a Canadian thing? I'm not familiar with it.

As Keith and Bruce stated these LC0F's have most of the same issues as a 6.0L and a few of there own like they love to eat o-rings on the HP oil rail.

It isn't a recall. It's a TSB kit that comes with 2 port-plugs and both stand-pipe/check-valve assmeblies. They have added what looks like teflon gaskets beneath the D-rings. They seem to be holding up quite well so-far. I wonder when we'll be getting these for 6.0s... probably as far behind as the threaded STC fitting.

Originally Posted By: Bruce Amacker
this should be an old strategy and be updated already.

I was under the impression that the current FICM flashes still have the post buzz AND the inductive heating strategy? I haven't flashed one in 5 or 6 months though.

You're right, I'm wrong. I asked Anthony and he agreed with you.

If IDM calibration last 4 is not BJ05 for VT 365 or AI06 for VT 275 then use NETS to update the IDM calibration level.

CRS.......

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif