We got this thing in engrish? (08-26-12)

Rate this topic

Aaron

1835 - 6.0L - COKING DEPOSITS DIAGNOSTIC, EGR DTC(S) P0401/P0402/P0404/P1335

SEE TSB 08-26-12 FOR DETAIL 08-26-12

Slash the labor times? Or did we get some new diag info?

We can't see it, not in both official languages /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Awsome site Mutter. Right after you posted the link, I put it into my Favourites and will visit it regularily now.

Has anyone caught on to, or payed attention to how this TSB 08-26-12 contradicts TSB 08-11-03? Read step 7.c. in 08-26-12. It states: If EOT exceeds ECT by 15 degrees F, replace the oil cooler.

In TSB 08-11-03, they say to replace the oil cooler if EOT exceeds ECT by 25 degrees.

I think I see another revised TSB coming down the pipe.

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but I am curious if anyone has ever had repeat EGR/oil cooler failures? I know every truck I've replaced both coolers on so far, has never come back with a repeat failure, which makes me wonder if it's just the crap from the engine block casting making its way into the oil cooler that's causing the original failures to begin with. What about coolant filters? I know that F-650/F-750 and VT365 use them. I've never seen them myself, but often wonder if installing one would cure the failures on these trucks.

I am curious if anyone has ever had repeat EGR/oil cooler failures? I know every truck I've replaced both coolers on so far, has never come back with a repeat failure

I'll match your claim and raise you this: I have yet to replace an oil cooler with an EGR cooler for any reason. I have done a handful for leaking oil into the cooling system. All of the EGR coolers I diagnosed never showed excessive EGR/EOT (@25 degree specification) nor was there any oil cooler restriction. None of those trucks have come back for a repeat repair to my knowledge. I did have one test with about a 15 degree split which at the time was acceptable... now it's not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif I know my shop HAS seen a few. Now, are we inching closer to mandatory EGR/OIL paired cooler replacements? I am guessing my results are not in line with the statistics but I also know a lot of techs fudge the numbers because they insist on replacing the oil coolers. Where oh where does the truth lie. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Originally Posted By: mchan68
I am curious if anyone has ever had repeat EGR/oil cooler failures? I know every truck I've replaced both coolers on so far, has never come back with a repeat failure

I'll match your claim and raise you this: I have yet to replace an oil cooler with an EGR cooler for any reason. I have done a handful for leaking oil into the cooling system. All of the EGR coolers I diagnosed never showed excessive EGR/EOT (@25 degree specification) nor was there any oil cooler restriction. None of those trucks have come back for a repeat repair to my knowledge. I did have one test with about a 15 degree split which at the time was acceptable... now it's not. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif I know my shop HAS seen a few. Now, are we inching closer to mandatory EGR/OIL paired cooler replacements? I am guessing my results are not in line with the statistics but I also know a lot of techs fudge the numbers because they insist on replacing the oil coolers. Where oh where does the truth lie. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

I believe that the truth is different for all of us based on different clientel, fleets, servicing intervals, operating conditions, etc. I fail Engine oil coolers all the time. I have seen many as high as 60 degrees farenheight hotter than ECT.

I also believe that it is the carbon from blown headgaskets that is plugging the engine oil coolers once the combustion enters the cooling system along with (in some cases) lack of maintenace. We all live and work in different conditions and locations. Therefore, we all may see different types of failures.

With the new 15 degree factor, I will be able to replace every freakin engine oil cooler on every damned truck I work on now. ohhhh yeaaaaaayyyyy!

You know, I would also bet money that if these Sick-o's were equipped with coolant filters and those filters were sent in for analysis when we are doing these major repairs, we get results back showing there is a significant amount of carbon entering the cooling system.

Originally Posted By: DwayneGorniak
I believe that the truth is different for all of us based on different clientel, fleets, servicing intervals, operating conditions, etc.

I totally agree. Do you think it could be something else though?

Hmmmm, Nope! But, you could fill out your warranty stories and code everything on a Sick-0 with the code D4 (Flaw in Material). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif And not even really be lying.

Keith... something I have mentioned several times on different venues.... When it comes to the EOT/ECT variance... what would make 24 good and 26 bad??? At 24 degrees, we could say that our girlfriend was only a "little bit" pregnant.... at 26 degrees, she is full blown pregnant?

The disparity in the TSBs that Dwayne quotes are an eye opener.... If we get into replacing the oil drain tube "every" time the turbo is off... you will get in trouble.... You cannot replace the tube to avoid coking... but you can replace it to avoid a repeat concern...

Let's get people mad at us first... long before we try to do anything about it... I doubt that the people writing TSBs know any "customers".

Not to get too far off topic again, but my biggest pet peeve of all this, is that the TSB pays the SAME, whether you replace the EGR cooler AND/OR the oil cooler OR BOTH. Maybe it's just me, but to me it seems a lot more work to replace the oil cooler, due to the need for intake manifold removal for access, on top of the messy cleanup of all residual oil in the "valley". For this reason, I suspect there are A LOT of trucks out there that techs are shortcutting the customers by replacing only the EGR cooler since a lot less work is involved, oil cooler needed or not. For me personally, I don't like seeing a vehicle back with more than one EGR cooler replacement in the Warranty Claim Report in OASIS.

it seems a lot more work to replace the oil cooler, due to the need for intake manifold removal for access

Whoa, hold the phone... Are you telling me there's a way to do an egr cooler without removing the intake on an F series??? Or were you refering to E series? I thought I already knew all the short cuts. Do tell!!!

I noticed that too. You actually have to type in the web address to get there. For some reason, if you copy a shortcut or put it in favourites, it just takes you to inford.com. You will still have to log in like inford though.

Never mind. I think the site is for Canada and you have to have a Canadian ID. Or am I wrong? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif I was flat rate reading again. I think I better start drinking.

SHiii!!!t Bill, you're still a freshman with only 12 posts. You gotta lotta typin to do to catch up. How's things?

And we should be able to read it in Engrish up here by now on Protech. It just takes so darn long to go through all that French conversion crap. Why does the rest of the country have to wait for those slow pokes to understand crap before we're allowed to read it?

Clicked on that website and took me too fmc logon page.What gives?

That's because it IS the Ford website, but it is different from our Canadian website, at least it has more and different tabs than our Canadian inford website. We can't access the American version here the same way you Americans do, as it defaults to a different(Canadian) version. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif