LCF 4.5 Stambles

Rate this topic

Happy new year.I have LCF with about 14,000km that stumbles as soon as you floor the peddle. It stumbles from idle to about 2200rpm then picks up ok.No codes.KOEO and KOER,no codes. Customer does his own service.I replaced both fuel filters and checked pressure which was ok.I found out that he used 15w40.He picked up unit and changed oil to recommended 10w30.Found a TSB on stumbling issues and recommended NETS update.I did and problem still there.I pulled out ICP sensor and tested high pressure sys with shop air.I could hear a small amount of air leaking on both sides of valve covers.I replaced stand tube and still leaking.Requested help from a Ford tech and he told me a little amount of air leak is normal because we are testing with air and not a liquid.he recommended I replace all injectors.Are we heading the right direction???

Found a TSB on stumbling issues and recommended NETS update.I did and problem still there.

Sorry,this is a different unit.Its a 2008.I ran the performance diag as per the guide and all tested ok.Does not matter hot or cold.

I have one right now with what sounds like the exact same issue. Problem is, the CAC tube has rubbed through the upper radiator hose, and the engine has little to no coolant in it. So, I have to wait for a back-ordered (like everything for LCFs is) hose to come in before I can do any diagnosis, as it will hold no coolant. But, just as yours, it has no DTCs set, but is accompanied by a long crank.

I talked to Ford support and they recommended I take a laser gun and check all ports with lowest heat and replace injectors.I found 2 on one bunk and 1 on the other.I replaced all cause the right bunk cover is a nightmare to get off.Now unit runs for about 10 to 15 mins and then misses at around 1500-2200rpm.i pulled out exhaust and ran unit and there was no difference.I noticed white/blue smoke when it misses.Checked boost pressure and fuel and they were within.called ford again and they recommendedi check rpm graph and ICP too.I was walking away from ICP cause this unit does not have a hard start.It takes 2-3 secs to fire.Could I be wrong?Does anyone know the issues they had with crankshaft tone wheel on the 6.0 or 6.4??????

I talked to Ford support and they recommended I take a laser gun and check all ports with lowest heat and replace injectors.I found 2 on one bunk and 1 on the other.I replaced all cause the right bunk cover is a nightmare to get off.Now unit runs for about 10 to 15 mins and then misses at around 1500-2200rpm.i pulled out exhaust and ran unit and there was no difference.I noticed white/blue smoke when it misses.Checked boost pressure and fuel and they were within.called ford again and they recommendedi check rpm graph and ICP too.I was walking away from ICP cause this unit does not have a hard start.It takes 2-3 secs to fire.Could I be wrong?Does anyone know the issues they had with crankshaft tone wheel on the 6.0 or 6.4??????

Loose tone wheels are unusual, but have been seen on 6.0s. Your problem sounds fuel or injector related. I'd fill the secondary FF with Stanadyne Performance Formula and retest in the shop. If your misfire changes or goes away, it's poor quality fuel or bad injectors. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're good.....

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

A short update on mine... After doing cold and hot cylinder cut out tests, I had 4 suspect injectors, so I replaced those 4. I ran like a top, but about 20 minutes into my roadtest, it set a DTC for low fuel pressure... Turns out we have a fuel pressure sensor on the 2008s and up. It's mounted where the test port is/was on early models. I saw it there when I was doing my fuel pressure test, but was unsure what it was so I did my pressure test the old "cap" way. Now, maybe Bruce can answer this question... is there anyway we can view this PID? I looked trough the list of PIDs, but could not find it. I'm waiting for a back-ordered fuel pump to arrive.

Sorry for the delay, been on a cruise ship the last week. What year is this beast, and what software are you using? I don't have access to all of my stuff while I'm on vacation, but memory tells me there was a reflash for installing the FP sensor and you should be able to read FP. I'm not sure, but you might need Saint or SM to access the pid.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Keith: No smilies?

AFC 07916 March 2008 revised May 2008 affects trucks built 1-1-05 to 12-1-07. It puts a FP switch in, overlay harness, new FP regulator, and reflash. It clearly states it will set a DTC 372 when FP goes low but FP will not read in MD or Saint. Maybe it's only an on/off switch and not a sensor. Late DT's have a true sensor that reads FP in scan data.

I'll send it to you if you want the PDF. E-mail me at bamacker@aol.com

Posted Image

Well, with 4 injectors and a fuel pump, all is well. I fully expect the other 2 injectors to fail sometime(soon). I had asked the good folks at FMC if I should just do them all while I was, but was given a big NO.

Bruce, what is "Saint"? Is that the software IH uses?

Master Diagnostics was the engine diagnostic software available from about 1994 to 2007 when it was discontinued. There was NO software available from about Dec 2007 to August 2008 when Service Assistant for INTernational Trucks was released (SAINT) very late. Due to political problems between IH, SPX/OTC and SU Enterprise, IH dropped both SPX as a distributor and SU E as a supplier at the same time, releasing ServiceMaxx as the new software and going to Nexiq as a supplier. It's a political disaster, if you ask me. I LOVED MD and Saint even better, and find SM REALLY hard to get used to. SM is not user friendly or intuitive AT ALL in it's current form, and I have doubts if future forms will be easier to use. Saint is GREAT software, but was only available a couple of months at best. Posted Image Weird how political messes play out.....

Posted Image

You definitely can't use the install code more than once. I am also told no more install codes are being issued for Saint or MD, even if it's a reinstall to the same customer. Before they would occasionally allow you to reinstall on a new laptop if yours blew up.

Posted Image