Edge 3.5L Water Pump

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I was watching a coworker replace a water pump in an Edge. Any of you see that freak show of a set up? Holy FUCK! it is inside the timing cover driven by the timing chain. There is a weep passage that lets coolant that leaks past the seal drain from the side of the engine right behind the A/C compressor... looks like a head gasket leak if don't know what is going on. He had to drop the cradle and engine to replace it. And we think these diesels are fucked up? Yeeeeesh! Posted Image

I've done 2 vct phasers and valve bodies on 3.5l's. I noticed the water pump. It looks like a little problem that will turn into a huge problem.

Keith, they can be done without lowering the engine. FWIW

it can be, but its a lot easier just droppin the cradle. he only had to remove a few things to drop it really. he had it out, back in and running in less than 9 or 10 hours or so. and that was with like 2 hours waitin on sealant. i watched him for some of it. real shitty idea if u ask me

I looked at another Edge that was in the shop and I don't think I would want to do a water pump in chassis. It is not too tight but tight enough. Remember, you need to remove the valve covers and the front cover and both timing chains which need to be timed during assembly. I wouldn't want to make a mistake there boy! It seems similar to doing engine work on a 6.0 or a 6.4... it can be done in chassis, but I wouldn't want to if I had the choice. The tech said dropping the cradle with the engine and trans really isn't bad but he took his time on this one being that it was his first.

The tech said dropping the cradle with the engine and trans really isn't bad but he took his time on this one being that it was his first.

If it is in any way similar to a Fusion, it's actually not bad at all. I did a head gasket on a Fusion about over a year ago, and actually MADE time on it, even being the first one (and the only one).

• 2 years later...

This is what happens when I run out of diesel work. :tomato:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Poor guy just came in for a Vermont state inspection. Check engine light was on, hoped it might be a loose fuel cap (yeah right), turned out to be a stuck phaser. :(

I'd take a phaser/waterpump job any day over what i'm doing now

4.0 sohc 04 explorer. no compression cyl 6. intake valve obviously stuck half open. shit load of coolant blowing into the intake runner. I don't know what happened but aftermarket warranty wants a teardown Posted Image man i hope that piston hit that valve, i really don't wanna do anything but longblock this turd

man i hope that piston hit that valve, i really don't wanna do anything but longblock this turd

And you won't be doing any other repair to this one, other than a long block. THAT I can guarantee you with a %100 certainty, because any 4.0L SOHC engines that valve timing goes out of time, WILL bend valves without fail, BIG TIME.

Yes, I agree that Edge/MKX Water pump/phaser jobs are gravy, even for warranty time.