Cam Follower Question

Rate this topic

We have an 2003 f450 in the shop with a blown up cam follower kind of like the pictures of this one:

Clich Here

the truck has just over 200,000 miles on it. The DP wants the tech to take it apart and fix it. I think that could be done. It would just need a cam, lifters, front cover with a pump and maybe a set of bearings. The customer supposedly found a blog yesterday saying that this is an epedemic. Saying that there are 700 trucks in the country that are down and have this same problem.

I have 2 questions:

First of all it this really en epidemic? I highly doubt it because we have only seen a couple. I know there are some here that frequent many message boards.

My second question is are you guys fixing theese or replacing with small blocks, or long blocks?

Thanks!

While I'd be hard pressed to call it an epidemic, firstly because I've never actually seen one and secondly out of how many of these things are on the road 700 is a really small percentage. Now with that said I'd do a cost compare of the most effective repair including labor and warn your DP that you may not find all the missing pieces unless you tear the engine completely down. If I were doing the job a short block would probably be the way I'd go with it though. Posted Image

We've seen cam follower failures - specifically the roller tip... The last one could be measured in "years ago" - epidemic?

Saw a blog???? "I read it on the internet... it MUST be true!!!!" All joking aside, customers that double think us leave me a little limp.... If I am wrong, I much prefer to make my own mistake rather than someone elses mistake.

Lastly... the engine has 200K miles on it.... no idea of how many hours - no idea how well care for... This thing may be in prime condition or it could be a hobby looking for a home.... 200K miles.... I'd be looking for a long block..

Cheap ain't

We have an 2003 f450 in the shop with a blown up cam follower kind of like the pictures of this one:

Clich Here

the truck has just over 200,000 miles on it. The DP wants the tech to take it apart and fix it. I think that could be done. It would just need a cam, lifters, front cover with a pump and maybe a set of bearings. The customer supposedly found a blog yesterday saying that this is an epedemic. Saying that there are 700 trucks in the country that are down and have this same problem.

I have 2 questions:

First of all it this really en epidemic? I highly doubt it because we have only seen a couple. I know there are some here that frequent many message boards.

My second question is are you guys fixing theese or replacing with small blocks, or long blocks?

Thanks!

Well guys, I have a 2003 here as well. This one I replaced the long block back in July 2007 at 120,000 kms. (around 70,000 miles) after two injectors let go, hydrolocking it. Fast forward to last week, and 80,000 kms. (about 50,000 miles) later to around 200,000 kms. (120,000 miles), it comes in with a cracked water pump impeller and cylinders #2 and #7 low. Owner is needless to say, PISSED beyond my ability to describe. Just as I am in the middle of discussing options with the owner about how to get out of this mess, my SM runs out into the shop and says to the owner, "you must have horseshoes up your ass. Ford says it's covered!". He then directs to ME, "Mike, tear it apart 'till you get to the failed part". Not wanting to take my SM's word, I call up one of my former co-workers and he informs me just as I am thinking, NO WAY Ford is going to cover it. Later that evening, my SA and I stayed 'till almost 10pm brainstorming the warranty and policy manual just to make sure (I didn't begin tearing it down at that point YET). The next day, I approach my SM first thing in the morning to press him to confirm or get some kind of iron clad approval for teardown. He later comes out into the shop and says, "tear it apart". So I do, and just as I suspect, the water pump is done. I pull bank #1 cylinder head to find the other three cylinders appear normal. #7 piston looks clean and the cylinder head itself shows a very clear imprint of the piston top. Turning the engine over by hand reveals slack in movement on piston #7 which tells me either the rod bearing has let go, or the wrist pin. At this point it is when I decide that there is no need to disassemble further. Draining the oil revealed metallic particles (probably bearing material). Now the waiting game begins, with this guy's truck in my bay, cab up in the air and engine apart somewhat, disabling my bay.

The next day, I am told that it WON'T be covered!!! After couple of days and now word on what the next course of action is, I get fed up with waiting, and lowered the body back on using 4 of the 8 cab bolts to resecure. Hooked up the steering, brakes and shifter, and pushed this pile of scrap metal outside. It took me more time pricing engine parts, long block and scrapyard engine than the actual wrench time on this vehicle, while other work was piling outside, waiting for me to get to.

Now comes the next big joke of the day. My SM asked me yesterday how much it would cost, and what would be involved with putting in a GAS engine into this guy's truck? Posted ImagePosted Image

Thanks for the replies. This thing is totally torn down and in the process of getting fixed. One interesting thing the tech found it that there are two valves bent on the cylinder that had the bad cam follower. Apparently when the roller came apart it made the valve open a little further than it was supposed to and kissed the piston. There are two valve marks on the #6 piston. They were not obvious. You had to look closely even after the piston was cleaned. Good thing he took the heads off. Posted Image