02 4R100 common prob ?

Rate this topic

A buddy of mine called last night and told me he lost overdrive in his 02 F350 with a 7.3. He said that it was surging for a while in overdrive and now it wont shift into it at all. I am not a transmission guy, litterally have almost no experience with autos. Is there any common issues with these trans that a guy should be aware of? He was going to see if there was any faults and get back to me. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Can't explain the surging, but make sure the O/D OFF wiring isn't chafed on the column somewhere. Is the O/D light flashing? Lots of miles on this unit?

This ones got 150,000 miles on it. He was in a hurry and didnt give me much detail. I am in north dakota and he is in wyoming, troubleshooting this could be interesting. I told him he may have to take it in. Troubleshooting over the phone isnt going to be good for either of us. I told him to call me back when he had more time, and details. I will tell him to check for the chaffed wiring. I was just curious if there was a common issue with this. Thanks

Without codes and a trans drive cycle road test, we are pretty much in the dark, too...

First order of the day... determine if the fault is INSIDE the trans or OUTSIDE the trans.

If the problem is inside the trans, and the trans has 150K on it, maybe we already know where we should go....

The day I got back from my first transmission class I get a 97 F350 with the same problem. It also had a 4R100 or E4OD. Someone put a re-man trans in it probably for the same problem, but the service writer didn't ask why the trans was replaced in the first place. my first transmission job and a total cluster-fuck. Posted Image

It didn't take long to figure out that I had a chaffed wire in the steering column. The O/D light on the shifter was not working, so the customer didn't know that the overdrive was being commanded off and on.

There is no way to say what it is at this point