Options and Modifications

Rate this topic

I don't remember where I had heard this but before the 6.4L hit the streets someone mentioned the possibility of there being two engine calibration options. One would be the normal high powered calibration and the second would be a de-tuned version, the idea was one calibration for towing/hauling and the other for light duty and fuel economy. I never heard of this anywhere again but it is an interesting concept. I am not sure that this would fly if it meant that owners were locked into either calibration but if Ford were to take a note from what some of these aftermarket tuners can do perhaps they could offer some sort of factory tuner that could be switched from an economy setting to a power setting when needed. A switch on the dash with some goofy indicator lights... they like that and it would be a useful option. I am not sure about the logistics of it but I think the concept is a good one.

Now THAT is a better idea Ford could promote and MARKET.

Personally I think that would be a great idea, I know at least a dozen people that would be in favor of having such an option.

Wonder if they could run it through the tow/haul switch just to make it easier to run the 2 calibrations like the TCM does.

Remember the old Corvette ZR1 with the Mercury Marine built engine?

It had a "valet" key switch on the dash. It would limit the hp.

It would be something good for fleets, have a separate key that the fleet owner could turn to keep the trucks from being beat to death that much faster.

Yep. We had a customer with an '01 F350, chipped, the works. He towed horses all over the country. With the chip set on "hot" all the time.

After 2 turbos, 1 suncoast trans and umpteen sets of brakes, he finally blew the motor about 80k after he had it all done up.

That truck did MOVE, could spin all 4 tires when in 4x4 from a stop.

Yep. We had a customer with an '01 F350, chipped, the works. He towed horses all over the country. With the chip set on "hot" all the time.

After 2 turbos, 1 suncoast trans and umpteen sets of brakes, he finally blew the motor about 80k after he had it all done up.

That truck did MOVE, could spin all 4 tires when in 4x4 from a stop.

I see that all the time too, whats the point of an adjustable tune if you dont use it?

on a side note my 7.3 will haul balls with my tunes. I can tow my rockcrawler(whats left of an 86toyota) about 6k lbs like nothing. I had it light up the tires from a stop which suprised the hell out of me. Just need to drive by your exhuast guage and watch your boost along with trans temp and they live.

some of those high strung 6.0 tunes scare me tho

• 2 weeks later...