SSM 2268

Rate this topic

mchan68

2268 - 2008-2009 F-SUPER DUTY - RADIATOR COOLANT LEAKS

ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING SOME 6.4L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES THAT EXHIBIT A RADIATOR COOLANT LEAK DUE TO MALFUNCTIONING THERMOSTATS. USE AN IDS AND MONITOR ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE (EOT) AND ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) PIDS. WITH EOT AT 195 DEG. F (90 DEG. C) DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY UNLOADED AT 55-70 MPH (88-112 KPH) CONSTANT SPEED TO OBSERVE EOT AND ECT TEMP. IF EOT IS LESS THAN 8 DEG. F (4.4 DEG. C) HIGHER THAN ECT, AND THE COOLANT TEMP FLUCTUATES ROUGHLY 5 DEG. F (2.7 DEG. C), THE THERMOSTAT IS OK. ONLY REPLACE THERMOSTATS IF EOT EXCEEDS ECT BY GREATER THAN 8 DEG. F (4.4 DEG. C) OR IF THE ECT READINGS FLUCTUATE 10 TO 12 DEG. F (5.55-6.66 DEG. C) ROUGHLY EVERY 30 SECONDS. REFERENCE WORKSHOP MANUAL ENGINE COOLING SECTION 303-03 FOR THERMOSTAT REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURES.

So, if I understand correctly. Ford now thinks that T-stats are what's causing repeat rad failures?

Mike... that would be Broadcast message 2268.... BCMs are those mystical messages... memos, I guess, that arrive and then evaporate... never to be seen again.

FWIW, "mild" temperature fluctuations could be the harbinger of other cooling system concerns. What we can see or measure may well be only the tip of the iceberg.... there is the distinct chance that localize conditions could be bad enough to create some sort of failure, but the rest of the system may damp any out of spec spikes at our points of measurement.

I think it important that we keep an open mind on those conditions we see... Things are changing too fast for us to consider new technology with old experience.

Whatever happened to the good ole' technology where you could get either 160 degree F or 185 degree F thermostats? I think these fuckers just cook themselves to death. Too much heat that cant be dissipated quickly enough. Posted Image

Old technology ( having a choice of thermostats being one) was good back when we weren't watching what we were doing... Today, operating strategies rely on coolant temps, oil temps, fuel temps and so many other FACTS.

In the 60's we'd say "PHUQUE... look at that thing go...". Today, a lot of this mysticism has stopped being magical and has become measurable...

Today it is all about tailpipe emissions and evaporative emissions... We can measure these, we can change these and we know what produces these... We have the ability to change - to improve - to reduce our footprint.

My turn to piss Dwayne off... both of us being family men... both of us with the chance to become grandparents sooner than we hoped....

Old technology died beause we were in a headlong rush (or, for some of us, so it seemed) for self annihilation.

Change your thermostat and you change your rate of NOx production... With the fate of your grandchildren in the balance, are you willing to roll the dice? Are you going to deny that major cities in the world saw the need for "smog warnings"?

It is no longer about "what we could get away with and old technology". We have the means to avoid some of what we used to do.... It costs more money, no doubt about it...

So... we have the conumdrum.... do we want to die rich... or do we want to die happy in the fact that we did everything we could possibly do to ensure that our grandchildren and our great grandchildren inherited a world that they could live in?

"Back in the day" we had a zillion miracle ingredients that we never gave second thought to... That woiuld be my parents and perhaps my grand parents... For part of my life, I perpetuated the problem...

And then, one morning, we began to wake up...

Old technology was "back then". R-12 was used as propellant in spray bombs....

Old technology was "back then". High compression engines that required tetra-ethyl lead as an octane improver.

Old technology was "back then" when we thought we could fix a cooling system problem by substituting a lower temp thermostat (ummm, is the thermostat argument looking a little weak?).

History has been a constant evolution of one fuck up after another....

If we do not learn from our history - we will, with no doubt - repeat it.

Old technology was "back then". High compression engines that required tetra-ethyl lead as an octane improver.

Posted Image

And even now, the use of leaded gas is SO limited - as you've always said Jim - guys using it in their weekend warrior toys, at the track, not their daily drivers (mainly because you've gotta buy it in a drum, and 5 gallons last time I checked was around $60. Anyways - the use of this fuel in racecars is again being threatened - they are threatening to ban all leaded gasolines. The amount of pollutants created by a racetrack on a weekend is pale in comparison to that put out by old clunker piece of shit semis, people that have the emissions equipment removed from their vehicles, people who burn plastic garbage...etc, etc, etc. The general public picks the easiest target, the automobile enthusiast, and says "Well; no more fuel for you guys anymore, it's got LEAD in it, and LEAD is BAD."

"But us being the tofu-fartin' faries that we are, we're gonna keep churning out plastic water bottles and I'm going to keep driving my 15 year old diesel volkswagen that the entire rear of the car is fucking BLACK because the turbo hasn't worked in 5 years, and the injection timing is all fucked up. But I'm saving the environment!"

Fuck me.

I agree, Aaron... there is little in the world that is sane these days. Back in the day, we would take drugs to make the world look wierd... today, we take drugs to make the world look normal...

Those of us concerned with the environment are usually only ever concerned about "our little corner" of interest. "Fuck the Brazil rain forest... cow farts is what I'm all about!!!". That sort of thing. We will remain vigilant for 'our' cause... all the while leaving a trail of destruction in other areas...

Until we get to the infernal combustion engine...whoop, I meant internal combustion engine. Overwhelmingly, people equate good fuel economy with low tailpipe emissions... From what I can see, the two are mutually exclusive.

The world spent decades finding out that we can't keep shitting in our own back yard.. we are now paying for that oversight... Yes, the pendulum has likely swung the other way and there is every chance that we may be over-compensating... or we may be barely doing enough.... shall we roll the dice with a planet we are borrowing from our grandchildren?

We can't hope for "zero pollution" - never gonna happen... but as responsible caring adults, we can minimize our footprint on the environment.

Car racing.... one of my favourite sports... Used to be what won on Sunday sold on Monday. NASCAR racing can still be exciting to watch.. but what does it have to do in our context any more? How many of these cars are available as a two door from the factory? Isn't it about time for us to wake up and return racing endeavours back to a place for R&D and proving the reliability of production cars?

Open wheel racing.... WOO, formula 1, Indy cars... alcohol for fuel. Fuel dragster classes... what can I say? Door slammers are great... how about a 7 second prostock car on PUMP GAS?

And that brings us to our garden equipment.... would we spend an extra $200 for a lawn mower with a "ULEV" sticker on it?

Car racing.... one of my favourite sports... Used to be what won on Sunday sold on Monday. NASCAR racing can still be exciting to watch.. but what does it have to do in our context any more? How many of these cars are available as a two door from the factory? Isn't it about time for us to wake up and return racing endeavours back to a place for R&D and proving the reliability of production cars?

I don't think ANY of them are available in a 2-door...maybe that shitbox Toyota, I don't know. AFIAC Toyota can pound sand.

Open wheel racing.... WOO, formula 1, Indy cars... alcohol for fuel. Fuel dragster classes... what can I say? Door slammers are great... how about a 7 second prostock car on PUMP GAS?

They're getting there...some some of Sonny Leonard's motors would put you in that range, but I think some of them are a little out of spec in the cubic inch category Posted Image

And that brings us to our garden equipment.... would we spend an extra $200 for a lawn mower with a "ULEV" sticker on it?

Nope! I'm actually going through the carb on my mower, and I'm gonna up the compression a little bit to see if I can squeeze a few more horsepower out of it so I can cut the long grass on the LOWEST setting Posted Image

And from what you said up there ^^ Alcohol is for drinking, not racing. Posted Image

I worked with a guy that had a top sportsman car that he ran on methanol. You couldn't run the fucking thing in the shop with the doors OPEN. It'd burn the eyes out of you. As well, when he first started racing the car - he couldn't SEE by the big end of the track because the fumes in the car would burn your eyes out.

Turbo Blue for the win. Posted Image

That's what I was taught... alcohol is for drinkin' , gasoline is for washin' parts and nitro is for racin'...

But we still watch the roundy-round cars... Posted Image

FWIW, I think those guys running alky are wierd... ya can't see it when it catches fire and ya hafta flush your fuel system at the end of the day.

FWIW, I think those guys running alky are wierd... ya can't see it when it catches fire and ya hafta flush your fuel system at the end of the day.

Kinda like the invisible fire in Talledega Nights? Posted Image

And flushing your fuel system is a waste of ANY fuel. Gotta like a fuel system that destroys all the rubber in it if you leave the fuel in it Posted Image

Jebus Tapdancing Chrysler - the feature in the Cambodian Tire flyer this week.

$349,99

Keep The Power, Cut Emissions!

Breathe easier with a cleaner performing gas lawnmower. The BTD ultra low emission mower is equipped with a catalytic converter and secondary air injection to reduce harmful emissions by 35%, making it better for the environment and your health.

Guess there's gonna be no more using the old race gas in the lawnmower....lead and catalytic converters have somewhat of a compatibility issue. Posted Image

I don't have a problem with less emissions for the protection of the environment, but I mean, come on. It's a lawnmower. If the AIR system fails, does it have a check engine light? What about when the converter gets plugged? I betcha the converter's worth more than the whole damn mower.

Sheep are low emission.

I guess you don't hear the American headlines in a timely manner... Today Obama just announced new fuel economy and greenhouse emissions standards. Methane is a greenhouse gas no? Posted Image Hide you lawnmowers AND your sheep gentlemen!

Pretty soon the governments will have us all walking around with jars and bottling our farts.

Anyone seen the episode of Myth Busters where they proved that you can actually bottle your farts? That could be allot of fun. Sneak up behind your coworkers and open up a can of stink ass right under their noses. Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...