Lets play FIND THE STANDPIPE

Rate this topic

04 6.0, 145,000kms, warranty up in June. Tow in today. Crank no start. Throw the IDS on it, 200psi ICP.

Customer says that he came back to the truck to get his cell phone and noticed it was idling funny, then it quit.

Coolant level is full.

Pop hood...smells BURNT. The little white part on the bottom of the dipstick is burnt black. Oil is pretty runny.

Hmmm... Posted Image

Check codes...Engine Oil Temp Sensor circuit code (P0197)....set at....255 degrees.

Oil filter. Melted. Stand pipe? GONE. The check valve from the bottom of the oil filter housing is melted to the bottom of the oil filter. I think we've found out why it won't make any ICP.

Freeze frame indicates 30% app, 2100RPM, 0MPH vss. 30 minute runtime. PTO off. (no PTO idle-up switch on the truck from what I can see.)

Long back story on this one...but there is also cooling fan circuit codes...however, they pass a KOEO test.

According to 19420, the stand pipe melts at 350 degrees.

What do you guys think? Owner... *ahem* helped it fail?

The evidence certainly supports the hypothesis that the customer helped his failure... Ballsy...

After years of watching as Ford tightens the screws on us, and then capitulates as soon as the customer throws a fit, I've adpoted a rather pessimistic attitude towards our manufacturer...

I usually assume that the customer is somewhat truthful in what he says. The numbers are there in the computer, and in the testing that you have yet to perform. If you are on a prior approval program for long blocks, then the decision is out of your hands, thank goodness. Be like Joe Friday when you present your findings to Ford - just the facts. No conjecture, no theories, no speculation. That section at the end of the prior approval form, where they ask for any additional information that you feel is important, is NEVER filled out on my forms.

Inform the customer that you will have to have an engineer review the findings before warranty repairs will commence. Assure them that you are doing everything possible to get their repair approved, but the final decision rests with them... Remind them that you are on their side.

This way Ford gets to be the heavy. Sure it also gives them a puppet master aire.... But if they say no, then the customer can take it up with Ford directly...

Now, it will be necessary to identify the root cause of the failure... Radiators are only covered for 3/36.... What is the failed part? The customer may have fucked himself....

If any contamination has gotten into the DPF and DOC they should also be replaced.

Posted Image ULSD compliant 6.0, in 2004, with a DPF Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Hotline Guy
It is unclear why the APP loads are so high.

Posted Image I think it's pretty clear.... Posted Image

Hmmm, can you prove the customer had any malice toward that defenseless standpipe? Posted Image I am with Greg, I no longer offer ANY extra information anymore. AND when it comes to performing tsb's or warranty repairs I write EXACTLY what they want to hear on the back of the work order regardless of my findings. Fuck-em. The fan failed and the engine got a little hot. At least the engine was cooked before it was served. If they want to eat it, let them eat it.

If this guy did this on purpose he going to wish he never did, that original engine is 10 times what the reman will be,we had a customer do that to a mustang for engine noise,he wanted a new engine(his warranty was almost up) but there was nothing wrong with it,so he took his car to the back of our lot and put it to the floor and redlined it till there was noise, I guess this guy though that no one would see what he just did because he came back and tried to get warranty,needless to say he did not get warrnaty,what some people will do whene the warranty is almost up!

Approval for a drop in came down the pipe this morning.

Posted Image

Don't know if I've said it before, but this thing has had head gaskets once, a pair of heads another time, a long block, a bunch of turbos, 3 EGR coolers, 1 oil cooler, rear main seal Posted Image, rear cover gasket, HPOP, #1, 4, 5, 7, 8 injectors...I am sure I am leaving some stuff out here.

Approval for a drop in came down the pipe this morning.

Posted Image

Don't know if I've said it before, but this thing has had head gaskets once, a pair of heads another time, a long block, a bunch of turbos, 3 EGR coolers, 1 oil cooler, rear main seal Posted Image, rear cover gasket, HPOP, #1, 4, 5, 7, 8 injectors...I am sure I am leaving some stuff out here.

Is this by chance a white dually pick-up truck? It sounds like a vehicle I worked on a couple years ago. The thing was bought back by Ford and then they some how ended up getting sold agian and it was nothing but problems.

Hey look! There it isn't!

Posted Image

Bottom of the oil filter. Standpipe spring is stuck in it, the spring for the drainback valve fell off, its down in the housing somewhere.

Posted Image

Top of the filter

Posted Image

It was so nice out, I just rolled the chassis right outside to thrash on it after I got the floor marked to the chassis properly and the steering locked straight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

QUESTION: DO THEY DIP THOSE REMANS IN PAINT, OR WHAT? Posted Image

That paint serves a purpose - we call it "elastometric paint" and it's chemically similar to the stuff black box transmissions are coated in...

The paint keeps the oil leaks down. Posted Image We have a couple machine we sell that the engine come to them cat yellow and than they paint them gray or black and the put it on thick. The first time you take a bolt out you have to pound your sockets on with a hammer to get the paint to break up and come off.