Overheat concern

Rate this topic

I have an 04 F-250 late build that came in for overheat concern with the di-gas cap venting. Vech has 50k miles and had headgaskets,oil/egr coolers done at 37k miles. No Dtc's or external leaks. Cap would release at approx 12 psi so I replaced it. Egr cooler holds vacuum for well over 15 min. ect/eot was max 14 degree F difference on flat ground with little load. Vech is just out of 5/100. Drove vech approx 15 miles to a spot where there was a steady incline so I could put a load on the engine. In less than 3 miles ect spiked to 253 and eot was 240 before I reached the next exit.Cooling fan is operating properly. I figured that the higher ect temp was related to a coolant flow concern since the eot was lower than the ect. I checked the water pump impeller and t-stat and both are in good condition. I was wondering if I am missing something obvious. Havent seen such an high ect reading while peforming 09-8-3 before. Was hoping toget a few opnions here. Thank You

I would re-verify the cooling fan operation and then I would install a new T-stat and reevaluate. Did you remove the water pump to inspect it and the front cover? Also check your cooling stack for debris. Paper and leaves have a strange way of collecting between the coolers and on occasion I see grass laced in the cooling fins.

Not something to be over looked I suppose, but how will you do that? Used to be a time you could take the radiator cap off end look right into the radiator tank and observe flow and look for build up. Now you cant... unless you use a borescope. Send it out to a radiator shop? Is it worth it on a high mileage truck?

Just bouncing ideas around...

how will you do that?

Have you guys ever seen one of these? It's a coolant flow tester. I think it used to be a required tool for GM, but I'm not sure it's even in production anymore. Coincidentally, Hickok is headquartered in Cleveland and Anthony and I are having lunch with the VP today to discuss a new 6.0 injector tester..

Posted Image

Posted Image

.......................................................All hail the king of tools and gadgets!

.........................................................................Posted Image

............................................... Posted Image..... Posted Image..... Posted Image..... Posted Image..... Posted Image