9-12-2 replacing 8-16-13

Rate this topic

Fordracer

I was needing to replace a CHRA and I saw the new TSB is an information only TSB and now you are supposed to reference the service manual for cleaning or replacing the CHRA and use SLTS for labor ops. So I was looking at the SLTS and you get diag plus 2.0 for turbo R&R and .3 for replacing the CHRA but you can get 1.0 if you replace the unison ring. I guess every turbo I do from now on gets a unison ring if I can get the parts guys to find the part number. Now that the TSB is gone I can't find the part number.

1843 - 2004-2009 E-SERIES/2003-2005 EXCURSION/2003-2007 F-SUPER DUTY - 6.0L TURBO UNISON RING AVAILABLE FOR SERVICE

A 6.0L TURBOCHARGER UNISON RING IS NOW AVAILABLE SEPARATELY. THIS PART MAY BE NEEDED WHEN PERFORMING TSB 08-16-13, '6.0L TURBOCHARGER CARBON DEPOSIT DIAGNOSTICS AND SERVICE TIPS', STEP 9 OF THE INSPECTION PROCEDURE. THE UNISON RING, PART # 3C3Z-6C885-A, MAY BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE TURBO CLEANING OPERATION WHEN NECESSARY AND CAN BE ORDERED THROUGH YOUR POWERTRAIN DISTRIBUTOR. TSB 08-16-13 IS PLANNED TO BE UPDATED IN THE FIRST QUARTER OF 2009 AND WILL CONTAIN THIS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

Problem is, if you are going to start throwing unison rings at every turbo it is likely that Ford will be calling them back for inspection. Typically they do not need replacing. We have seen only a few that were actually cracked and a few that had worn cam pin slots. Just thought I would remind us of that stark reality. Posted Image

Put an alignment bar in the cam pin slot and whack it with a hammer. Ta-da! Posted Image

You probably can't claim replacement of the CHRA and the Unison ring together. Or, if you can now...you won't be able to soon.

Put an alignment bar in the cam pin slot and whack it with a hammer. Ta-da! Posted Image

You probably can't claim replacement of the CHRA and the Unison ring together. Or, if you can now...you won't be able to soon.

Jeez Aaron... how long do you figure that will fly before you spend three days getting prior approval?

Just a passing thought.... a lot of techs get real righteous about customers hiding the use of tuners... fuckin' fraudulent bastuhds.... Thankfully none of us would ever stoop to fraud......

On a lighter note, that fucking fraudulent SELLC recently sent me some automated looking form letter asking why I haven't visited his website lately? We all remember him, right? The guy selling stuff people didn't need?

Muck fe!!!!

I was just yappin' Jim...it's not something I routinely practice.

Out of all of the ones I have fixed, I have only found one broken, but several of them that have been worn in the keyway.

It doesn't take much of a mark for me to call a unison ring suspect, Aaron... but you really need to reconsider someof the suggestions.... If you don't do it, you have still planted the seed in some other guys mind. If you get a unison ring back one day with a cryptic note "Looks like a drift mark", who will you blame?

When people abuse the system, the system bites back... Yes.... Nassar started it - but we are helping perpetuate it... Ford cuts an SLT and we do the leg work for them, finding ways to cut our labour times... and then they once more cut the SLT.... Fcuk me... but aren't we the smart guys?

Bottom line.... we desparately need to have a squeaky clean image.... there is a change brewing in this trade... If we are not careful, you and I will be replaced by OASIS Quik Start and a trained monkey. Ford only cares about our retail business as a means to help our store stay afloat and perform warranty repairs. After that, all they really see is the cash flow....

I believe it means, re/re the unison ring for cleaning or replacing = 1 hour.

The .3 is for replacing the CHRA, (swapping the housing and vgt)

If they are only going to give you .3 for replacing the CHRA, which includes the cleaning, your probably better off just replacing light bulbs, which pay the same amount of time...

Quote:
I believe it means, re/re the unison ring for cleaning or replacing = 1 hour.

I hope that is what they mean. Our warranty clerk doesn't think you should get a labor op like that unless you replace the part, I'll have to talk to her about this one. It just doesn't make sense to pay .3 to replace the CHRA but to pay 1.0 to replace a unison ring that you already have out when you take the turbo apart.

Turbocharger Unison Ring (6C885) - Replace

Includes time to perform turbocharger bearing clearance check, replace the turbocharger unison ring along with any required cleaning.

This labor op requires that the repairing technician be certified in Training Specialty Area 52 or 51.

6.0L DIT 9438A4 1.0

Center Housing Rotating Assembly (CHRA) (9G489) - Replace

6.0L DIT 9438A5 0.3